Teaching letter U

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by jakmcgraw, Oct 30, 2008.

1. jakmcgraw

jakmcgraw Rookie

Oct 30, 2008

I am teaching the letter Uu to my kindergarteners next week and can't seem to find anything good to teach it with. Does anyone have any good ideas for teaching letter Uu? Our curriculum book for it is really bad and I don't like to use it much. Thanks for your help!!

3. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Oct 30, 2008

4. bruinsfan

bruinsfan Rookie

Oct 31, 2008

letter u

I am dooing letter u next week too..I am having a hard time too... I might introduce the position concepts...what goes up? What is up in the sky? I like the idea of using an umbrella and put words on raindrops.. I also might do something with the word families ub, ud, un, us, and ut..Good Luck..I am also stuck

5. vbubbles1874

vbubbles1874 Companion

Oct 31, 2008

I teach preschool and I have the cutest U art project. It's a letter u and you close up the top and add a horn to make it a unicorn. I also add goole eyes to each side. I don't know if that helps, but it's one of my favorite projects.

6. royalfamily

royalfamily Rookie

Nov 2, 2008

Letter Uu

I tell my students that the sound short "u" makes is like if you got hit with a fist in the stomach. Other activities we do include an umbrella parade, where we walk around the parking lot holding our umbrellas. (makes great pictures) Also, we have "upside down sundaes under our desks"

7. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Nov 2, 2008

Last year for U I had the students make a UFO, and we put a few pictures of U things inside before we stapled it shut like Umbrella, and Ukulele. They seemed to like it. We put an upper case and lower case u on the UFO.

8. jakmcgraw

jakmcgraw Rookie

Nov 3, 2008

Thanks everyone for your ideas! So, I remembered that we also do a book called "Underwear" that is TOO much fun! It's about some grassland animals that go to an underwear fair because they love to wear all kinds of underwear. But, when they get back to their home, there is a buffalo that hates underwear and is all grumpy. The rest of the story is the other animals trying to get the buffalo to wear underwear and trying to convince him that it will be fun. It's a SUPER CUTE story that I completely forgot about!! My kids LOVED it today and on Wednesday, I'm going to read another book called "The color of my underwear" which isn't by the same author or anything, but it is also about animals and the different kinds of underwear they wear. After we read these 2, the kids will all get to decorate their own paper underwear and hang them in our room. It's really cute and I've done it the past 2 years. The kids really love it and it's a lot of fun!!

Thanks for all of your good ideas too!! I will be using some of them also!! :p