teaching letter recognition

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Miller59, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Miller59

Miller59 Companion

Oct 5, 2009

So now it's time for me to really begin working on letter recognition. I do have some ideas, but this is the first time I've taught in such an academic Pre-K setting so I'm not at my most confident.

Can you guys share some of your ideas? What's worked well? Do you teach letter from a to z? Do you teach sounds and letter names at the same time? What are your favorite resources and activities?

Thanks much

3. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Oct 5, 2009

The more ways that you can bring the concept into the room the better in my room. We have to cover the letter shapes and sounds in a multi disciplinary - multi sensory way............more later.

4. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Oct 5, 2009

I agree with Waprovider and also don't have time for a full answer but I find starting with their names helps. Will answer more later. There is a philosophical difference on whether to do letter of the week or not we could discuss forever, as well.

5. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Oct 5, 2009

We do letter's names first, sounds next. Letter's names are covered in this semester, sounds in the next semester. We do upper and lower at once. We focus first on the letters in each kid's name, so it's pretty individualized...we're almost done with that portion. By the end of the month, we start the alphabet, and we go through them A-Z, a letter a day. I know, that's fast. It's just how our curriculum does it. They all won't get it the first time around, so when we switch to letter sounds, we spend more time on the names then, as well. When we do the letter's names, it's pretty much the same for each letter - we have a big ABC book, and each day we read a page and spend some time trying to find that letter on the page, in kids' names, etc.

We present sounds in a more multi-sensory way, trying to hit all of the modalities of learning (but especially auditory, kinesthetic, musical, visual and tactile.) We do sounds for 3 days at a time each, and after every 3 letters, we spend a day reviewing all of the previously known sounds. We start with /s/ and then we do /m/, but beyond that, I'd have to consult my teacher's manual.

6. Miller59

Miller59 Companion

Oct 5, 2009

Thanks all. And I look forward to the longer replies.

We've been working with names since the first day. I have their names on our word wall and we do activities there at least once a week. We also do a variety of things with our Morning Message. I don't think I want to do letter of the week, but I guess I could change my mind. I'm free to work on this any way I want.

I have some new activities out this week that focus on matching Upper and Lower Case. I'm starting with just the first letters their names for now.

I've been doing tons of reading and it all sounds good and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. I have 2 kids who I think are very ready for this kind of work. The rest vary from sort of ready to not very ready. I'm free to engage children at their own level. 2 of my kids will be in Pre-K again next year so I have lots of time with them.

I'm so tired I shouldn't be trying to talk about all this! Excuse my rambling.

7. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Oct 6, 2009

Ok, sorry it took so long for me to get back to here.

I teach using zoo phonics-which is a program that is for sale.

It begins with a letter sound/move combo. The move is a bi lateral move (it isn't rocket science). A is for allie alligator-so the move is making a big gator mouth with both hands and saying /A/.

We focus on the move/friend combo while talking about how the friend is super imposed on what will become the lower case letter.

We teach the whole alphabet as a unit-and then we focus on a letter of the week that meets out theme. We do not do a traditional letter of the week.

I hope that made some sort of sense.

there is a lot of conversation about letters, a lot of labeling of children's boxes and what not. And we go straight to the using of the letters with our journals................

If i didn't make sense I am sure someone will jump in to help or critize me soon.

8. prek176

prek176 Companion

Oct 6, 2009

I did letter of the week but during centers other letters were brought in. We had a lot of puzzles, matching games etc. to reinforce letter recognition and sounds for those that were ready. Some of our letter of the week activities included stories beginning with the letter, songs, fingerplays, snacks, etc. I also had color pages or craft activity that went along with our letter. A favorite activity was the Blue Bucket. A child was selected each week to take home the bucket and fill it with things beginning with our letter of the week. (It became a great family activity) The child would bring it back at the end of the week and would share the objects. This was a great language activity.

9. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Oct 9, 2009

This year I'm only teaching the letters that the students need to learn. I assessed them all at the beginning of the year and the ones that the majority of the class knew, i'm not teaching. For example, the majority of the class knew A so we are starting at B.

10. darlin77

darlin77 Rookie

Oct 14, 2009

I also teach a letter per week, but not in traditional order. I teach them in the order that will match the themes I want for that month. I also try to incorporate as many senses when teaching them. For example, I have them trace the letter with their finger while saying the sounds or singing the song to go with it.