Teaching kindness

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by wyvern, Dec 3, 2013.

1. wyvern

wyvern Companion

Dec 3, 2013

What kind of things do you do to encourage and teach kindness. When children, even at preschool age are cruel and vindictive to others, using mean words or excluding others. Do you have good techniques or activities related to this topic that you have found particularly helpful or meaningful to this age group, that you would like to share?

3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Dec 6, 2013

I like the "Learning to Get Along" book series by Cheri J. Meiners. These and similar books helped a lot when teaching life skills like kindness at the start of the year.

4. eternalsaudade

eternalsaudade Companion

Dec 6, 2013

This may seem like a totally obvious one, but I find that my kids (a little younger, two-year-olds) pick up very quickly and often mimic how I behave. Turns out this is an excellent teaching tool and a chance for me to reflect on myself as well. Modeling the behavior I want to see both in my interactions with the kids and with my coworkers as well as providing the kids with words to use and ideas for solving conflicts among peers are strategies I find very effective.

As far as activities, I would suggest reading books about diverse cultures, family situations, and special needs. There are a lot of great ones out there covering all kinds of subjects. If your kiddos are old enough, these types of books may be great lead-ins for leading a discussion. One book I love that is more general is "What Does Peace Feel Like?"- would be a good one for 4 and 5-year-olds. I also love "All Cats Have Asperger's Syndrome".

I hope that helps a little, I am sure those with older kiddos can provide some more specific activity ideas. :)

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 6, 2013

Otter, it is so nice to have something to base your lesson plans on. I would also seek opportunities to be kind. Holidays are a great time to be kind. At Christmas, I adjust my topics to be helping each other, being nice, etc. Valentines Day is perfect for being nice. I have the children make a card for family, and send it home via mail. So many concepts can be taught at the same time.

Teaching nice words: Have the children line up in two lines facing each other to make a pretend car wash. Have one child walk down the center. Have the children use nice words to wash the child. Maybe a bit corny, but works.

6. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Dec 6, 2013

One thing I like about the series is the kid-friendly discussion questions at the end. They are helpful for leading group discussions during circle time.

I love the car wash idea!

7. wyvern

wyvern Companion

Dec 18, 2013

It IS nice. I think for a lot of children, they don't have the words yet. So, if one child thinks of nice thing to say, many parrot that phrase because they don't have any words they can think. Parroting is not bad. It reinforces concepts. Just a thought.