Teaching Kindergarten for the 1st time HELP!

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Teacheskidz, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Teacheskidz

Teacheskidz Rookie

Jun 19, 2005

Hi all,
    For the past 5 years I have only worked with 2nd and 3rd graders. Now I am going to be teaching Kinder this year. I don't know where to start. I have no supplies or books for kinder at all. What are some of the supplies I MUST have? Also, I plan on using a lot of music with these little ones and need some advice on which music works best, names of songs, or children's CDS, what songs to use for transition clean up, line up etc...
    Also, any good sites for discipline procedures, teaching them routine. I will take any advice. Thanks! :rolleyes:

Also need ideas for first week of school!

3. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jun 19, 2005

Petunia

First of school.... Kissing Hand book and activities. First day have a can of play dough on each desk. Will keep some happy and less running around the room as you are greeting other students and parents. Tape a tri-pod name on the upper corner of each desk. 3 inches high about 8 inches long --name on the front and back. Leave all year Great for you the first few days and great for subs, parents, Paras and all helpers.

4. dcnuck

dcnuck Companion

Jun 19, 2005

Dr. Jean music is the best. Raffi is good also and Hap Palmer. Dr. Jean's All Day Long c.d. has a complete day with transitions, clean up, days and months.

5. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jun 20, 2005

6. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jun 20, 2005

The Sing Spell Read and Write songs are great.
    Also, I have songs that teach how to spell each color if you're interested. They work really well.

For the first day of school, you can bake gingerbread men, then read the story. When you come back from recess the gingerbread men have run away, and you have to look all over school for them (visit the principal, the secretaries, the nurse, library, gym, etc). Have a parent or aid put one gingerbread man at each kid's seat, then when you finally give up and go back to class- there he is!

7. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jun 20, 2005

Danny's Nanny I would like the songs that teach how to spell the color words! Can you send it to me?

8. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jun 20, 2005

AMK, I sent you an email.

9. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jun 20, 2005

DannysNanny, Do you happen to have songs that teach number words? I have songs for color words, too, and love them but have never been successful in finding songs for number words.

10. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jun 20, 2005

For numbers I use the Leapfrog Math Circus video it has counting up to ten, adding, and subtracting, and each of the numbers sings a little song about itself. But other than that I don't have any number songs. Sorry :(

11. kinder4me

kinder4me Comrade

Jun 20, 2005

Danny's Nanny -

I would love it if you could email me the songs that teach how to spell the color words. I am just starting out and any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!!!
    Christy

12. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jun 20, 2005

kinder4me, I emailed you those songs ;)

13. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jun 20, 2005

I absolutely love Dr. Jean CD's. It has the color words song on it (the red one). I also like to use Jack Hartmann. He does some amazing things with letters and numbers. They also seem to be a favorite with the kids. They keep asking me to play them again and again.
    For the first week, do expect too much! Remember you have to actually teach them how to line up in a line and how to use the bathroom :) etc. Just be patient and play A LOT! We go outside at least 2-3 times a day (of course that includes their recess time) We talk about the rules over and over and over! We do a lot of singing and playing. We take a tour of the school and I introduce them to all the people they will need to get to know-secretary, school nurse, janitor (custodian) lunch people, etc. We also make a trial run through the lunch line. It is explained to them how to pick up their tray, milk, silverware, etc. They also get to practice putting in their lunch numbers on the keypad.
    I read lots of stories. Miss Bindergarten Gets Ready for the First Day of Kindergarten, Kindergarten, Here I Come by Nancy Carlson, What Will I Do If I Can't Tie My Shoes? There are a lot of great books out there for Kindergarten and the first week.
    Some websites that I can think of are
    kindercorner.com
    kinderpond.com
    drjean.org
    stevespanglerscience.com Cool science experiments for just about every letter of the alphabet :)

I hope this helps you and congratulations on joining the ranks of fellow kindergarten teachers :)

Also think about joining your state kindergarten association, if you have one. I belong to the one in Minnesota and they send out a list of ideas from different teachers 4 times a year and they have a regional representative that would be able to help you out. I am a reg. rep. for our Kindergarten association and have helped out new teachers before by going to their classroom and sitting down and talking to them, answering their questions, etc. Also check with your fellow Kindergarten teachers that you will be teaching with, hopefully they will be glad to give you ideas and will be able to help you out!

Good Luck and enjoy your summer :)

14. countrygal

countrygal Rookie

Jun 20, 2005

I did my student teaching in kindergarten. We used a video called Animal Alphabet. I do not remember who produced it. It was a great! The students could watch it over and over! We also used Leapfrog Math Circus ( I believe someone mentioned it earlier). It was also a big hit!!

15. pattyanne

pattyanne Rookie

Jun 22, 2005

Hi!
    Keep it simple!
    I LOVE the Gingerbread idea!

AVOID: - painting! anything that requires you to write on it - except for their names. In fact, avoid anything that adds to your work load because you will be flat out on the basics!

For each kinder person, this is a HUGE day - even if they have been coming to school with older siblings for years and attended successful integration sessions before starting. They ALL want your attention and they ALL want to tell you everything - or they are overwhelmed by the whole experience. Either way, they need your attention every second!

Sing nursery songs they know - it helps to create a link between home and school.

Read / tell them stories - most Kinders love this!

Keep instructions very simple.

Expect to undo plastic wrap on sandwiches, cut up fruit, help with underpants that get caught up after toileting - all the "home" stuff!
    Lots of children who have attended early childhood centres will be fine with this stuff - but I find the stress of "starting big school" means sometimes they revert to younger, less capable, behaviour.

Have fun! They are hard work but very rewarding at this stage! :love:

16. Teacheskidz

Teacheskidz Rookie

Jun 22, 2005

Kindergarten

Thanks everyone for the great ideas!

17. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Jul 4, 2005

This will be my first year teaching and I will be teaching kindergarten. It's the only grade I ever wanted. During my student teaching my mentor teacher did alot of dr. jean songs and also I like to do alot of art. I am very artsy, but the kids like it to. You will have to be patience and teach them the correct way to use supplies and this can even be a great lesson into sharing with the other members of their table. I already know that two of my first day activites will require art and play. Self potraits, creating their name with tactile items, drawing out the rules, make a class book of rules (then narrow down to five) or students can draw pictures of what they like to do with their friends and see if anyone in the classroom has the same things (this activity goes along with the book "Will I have a friend") it about the first day of school and it's perfect for kindergarten. !!! GOOD LUCK!!!

18. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 11, 2005

I taught Kindergarten for 4 years. You have to teach them everything! The first week or se everything takes twice as long as you expect. Think simple & basic. You have to teach them how to come into the room, put their backpack/coat away. How to push their chair in, come to the carpet, line up. All those things they know how to do in 2nd or 3rd grade, they learned in Kindergarten!

Now if I can just figure out 3rd grade for this fall I'll be all set!

19. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

Jul 12, 2005

I don't want names on most supplies, because they become community supplies and we share. But some things need names - paint apron, scissors, etc.

I have a bag with their name on it the first day of school. They can put all of their supplies in the bag and I can worry about writing names later.

Brenda

20. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Jul 13, 2005

Brenda,

How do you instruct parents and students about putting away their supplies the first day of school? I like the idea of no names, I am sure this idea gets rid of the "It's Mine" syndrom. Do you write parents and ask them not to put their names on them? I would like to know exactly how you handle parents and students coming in on the first day of school.

21. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 13, 2005

Just ask the parents not to put names on their supplies. Where I taught last year the children met each morning in the gym. Parents were not allowed to walk their children to classroom and if they did had to leave. I usually closed the classroom door.
    One the 1st day of school I will play a Simon Says kind of game. For instance if you sit at the orange circle table bring me your smock and so on.

22. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

Jul 14, 2005

I see a lot of parents in my community. I just tell them.

I have nametags on each desk. I tell them to come and find their name and put their things on their desk. Then the kids can go to the tubbing area. When I finally get rid of the parents, we sit at the rug and read and sing.

Then we go back to their desk and unload their supplies. First, everyone bring their boxes of kleenexes. Then pencils, glue, play-doh, etc. Then anything that needs labeled goes in the sack.

One of my school supplies is a school box. The only thing that goes in is a box of 8 crayons. The box has their name on it. I keep the box on a shelf. They only get the box when I pass it out. I pass out pencil, glue, and scissors when they need it.

At the end of the day we put all supplies on the shelf. Anything in their desk goes home. Because all they have in their desk should be the day's papers.

Does that all make sense? Brenda

23. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2005

When we do a craft that needs glue, I pour a small amount on a plastic lid (like from a sour cream or margarine container). Each table gets 1-2 lids. The kids use their fingers to spread the glue. it sounds messy, but it is soooo much neater than letting them each have a glue bottle (it also eliminates the yelling when a glue bottle gets clogged). When you're done, set the lids on a shelf to dry, and then the glue peels right off.

24. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2005

I have a large caddy in the center of each table that has compartments...and the compartments are labeled (with words and pictures) "pencils," "crayons," "scissors" and "glue." Markers have their own bins and only get passed out if we are actually using them. I teach them right away that things go back with their pictures, and I replenish the supplies at each table as necessary.

Look at the Target ad in the upcoming weeks and you'll see that they'll have huge sales on school supplies. Like glue for 10 cents a bottle, scissors for a quarter. I find that it helps if most of the supplies actually belong to the classroom, not to an individual child. Especially things like scissors and glue bottles. So, I just purchase those myself. I send the parents a welcome note by mail that includes a supply list and the directions to not label any of the supplies. I ask each child to bring:
    3 gluesticks
    a 10 pack of markers
    an 8 pack of large crayons
    2 hard backed compostion notebooks (black/white cover only)
    2 pocket folders without a center clip, one red and one blue
    1 folder WITH a center clip, any color.

Plus, of course, a backpack and lunchbox.

Then, on the bottom of the form, I have a part that says, "please bring only the items that are circled" and the list includes ziplock bags (gallon and sandwich sized), a 4 pack of playdough, large paper plates, small paper plates, a package of straws, a box of assorted plastic silverware, a roll of paper towels, a box of tissues, a container of baby wipes, a roll of sticky backed magnets, a package of safety pins. There may be a few things I've forgotten. On each child's list, I circle two items. There's no way I need all of the kids to bring tissues - I'd get 40 boxes! This way, I get a small sampling of the things I really do need and no one parent has to spend a ton of money.
    Kim

25. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

Jul 17, 2005

Kim,

I really like the idea of the list at the bottom and then only circle 2 items. I'm not really sure how to implement it, but I'm going to check into it. Are you in a private school? My kids are low income, I doubt if I would get much.

26. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2005

Our kinders do the lists at the bottom with 2 columns. Bring stuff from the first list if your last name is A-L, the second one if its M-Z

27. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Jul 17, 2005

A verteran teacher gave me the hint on how to handle those extra supplies. At open house or registration she will decorate a apple tree on the door on die cut apple and write extra things that the classroom needed--Hnad sanitizer, paper towels, band aids, ziplock bags, safelty pins, papaer plates, macaroni- anything under five dollars.

Then she asks parents to take a apple and contribute their item to the class--Also letting parents know that these thing s are under 5$. This way parent can choose what they want (They may be a nurse and have lots of bandaids at home). By the end of the night all the apples are gone and students bring the extra supplies in on the first day of school.

By looking at the apples that are left, a teacher can easily assess what she will need.

Becuase if you assign parents something to bring, you never really know if they are going to do it. But if they choose-thats different!!!!
    Parents are usually glad to help.

28. Kyle72

Kyle72 New Member

Jul 19, 2005

This site is GREAT! I have taught for 20+ years(musicK-8),took a break, and am now teaching ahalf day Kinder and half day music. I have already picked up lots of useful info. Even for a veteran, new ideas make the day go smoothly. I like the idea of having "group" supplies, rather than belonging to just one student. My class is low income, and while most will want to bring supplies, they may be limited.

29. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2005

Brenda,
    I actually teach PreK, but in a program aimed at at-risk kids. I'd say about half of my kids qualify for my program based on their low income level, and the other half have other "needs," like a parent deployed for military duty, a single parent, a speech delay...lots of different things. Somehow, though, I do seem to get most of the supplies. There's always a kid or two per class that doesn't bring them, but I ask for enough of a variety that it all seems to get covered in the end.
    Kim

30. skelley

skelley Rookie

Jul 20, 2005

You could title this the "Giving Tree" ;)