Teaching kids to do centre activities

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mrsrooney, Jul 17, 2007.

1. mrsrooney

mrsrooney Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

I am wondering how others taught their students to do centre activities while you work with small groups. I want to do it right and spend time teaching them to work on their own so that I can effectively do guided reading and writing instruction. What types of things do you have your students do to get them used to this process. It has to be something fairly basic as they are just coming from kindergarten. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. thanks:)

3. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 17, 2007

At the beginning of the year don't expect to do guided reading and writing in small groups. If you teach your center rules and activities (and reinforce them) at the beginning of the year, you'll find that your small groups will go smoother. Don't be stressed to jump into small groups right off. Research shows that spending that extra time at the year to teach and reinforce your procedures pays off. Start off with one center for them to go to at first. Then when they have that down (which shouldn't take long) add another. Trust me, it works.

4. mrsrooney

mrsrooney Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

I don't plan to actually start them working at centres while I teach. What I was asking for was ideas to teach them to do activities on their own to get them ready for when I begin small group instruction. So in the first month or so what kind of things can I have them doing to get used to working on their own and not relying on me. I plan to practice this so that later in the year I can teach without them coming to me and interrupting. Hopefully that was more clear.

5. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Jul 17, 2007

I began center work with a listening station where afterwards they draw their favorite part, puzzles, play dough, and pattern blocks (free exploration). I didn't really do anything overly academic the first few times so that we could concentrate on the procedure as I teach kindergarten and they generally have no experience with centers. I spend my time bouncing from center to center and when someone asks for help, I explain that I first want them to ask a friend at the center and then if they still cannot figure it out, they may come and ask me. I model how they should ask me and reinforce that by telling them that I am working with this group, so you may wait by me and when I am done I will help you.
    Hope that helps some.

6. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 18, 2007

You can even have them work with math manipulatives (pattern blocks, connecting cubes, etc...) as some of the stations while you teach them the procedures.