Teaching Jobs in Southern CT

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by JBteach, Aug 7, 2009.

1. JBteach

JBteach Companion

Aug 7, 2009

I just relocated back to CT and am in search of a teaching job in Southern CT preferably in grades 1-3. I am certified to teach K-6 but just haven't been successful in getting an interview. I have been teaching for about 7 years and have taught in grades k-3. I have completed a variety of online applications, but have not heard back yet from any districts. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any suggestions that you may have.:)

3. natelukesmom

natelukesmom Companion

Aug 8, 2009

I feel for you. I don't have any suggestions, because it seems like you are doing all the right things. I think it is just tough right now because a lot of districts have been cutting teachers (due to money issues). I don't know if that is the case in CT but I wish you luck!!

4. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Aug 8, 2009

I have done exactly the same as you (also elementary in CT), filling out all of the online applications that have posted and even the ones that have not. I have mailed out many, many packets to both public and private schools and had only 1 interview in the district I live in/went to school in. I did not get that job. I have just heard from a couple of preschools but nothing from elementary, and I have applied to close to 100 as of now. It varies, some of my friends are still looking, and I know just a couple of people who have gotten jobs- but they know people. There are a lot of schools in this area with intern programs that graduate people twice a year and there is definitely an overabundance of teachers here right now. I know both districts I subbed in have not done much hiring at all. I hope you hear something soon!

5. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2009

So hard I know. I know that my district isn't hiring anyone... There are a few around here that are though. Check out Westport and Norwalk.

6. JBteach

JBteach Companion

Aug 8, 2009

Thanks Mccl14. I hope you hear something as well!!

7. JBteach

JBteach Companion

Aug 8, 2009

Thanks Trayums. I have applied to both Westport and Norwalk and have even emailed and attached resumes and coverletters to all of the principals. I would love to work in Westport, but honestly I am ready to just have a job and teach almost anywhere. I guess I just need to be patient and to continue to keep looking. Hopefully, something will pop up!

8. kidsandpups

kidsandpups Companion

Aug 8, 2009

I subbed two years full time before I got a job in SE CT. Have you tried private/charter/parochial schools?

9. JBteach

JBteach Companion

Aug 8, 2009

I have applied to a few private schools, but will definitely send my resume and apply to some parochial schools as well.