'Teaching' is the most hated profession there is

Discussion in 'General Education' started by webmistress, Feb 19, 2010.

1. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Feb 22, 2010

A question...can all the schools referenced in this quote...

"But children from poor households can succeed, as innovative schools around the country have already shown. One of those schools is Washington, D.C.’s SEED Public Charter School, a boarding school built in 1998 in a down-at-the-hills, crime-scarred neighborhood on the southeast side. According to its founders, more than 90 percent of its graduates go on to college.
    Another is Atlanta’s private Ron Clark Academy, which came to national attention when a group of its students performed during Obama’s inauguration. While its student body encompasses varied socio-economic backgrounds, half of its students come from homes earning less than $28,000 a year, according to Clark, the founder. Yet, Clark says, test scores are “through the roof.”
    What do those schools have in common? Teachers and administrators are convinced the children can learn. “The more we expect of kids, the more they achieve,” Clark said."

...pick and choose their students? Can they dismiss them if they are disruptive, unmotivated, often absent, or get poor grades?
    I believe that it is so, though I haven't taken the time to prove it yet. And if it is so, then we need to be able to do this in our schools, too, and then we could have a much higher degree of "success" in our schools, too. It isn't as much the income level as the behavioral expectations. And if the administration and boards and governmental agancies would support us in making sure we had classrooms where teaching and learning could take place, without disruptions (including that there would be immediate consequences for disruptions, including dismissal) then we could have higher scores, too.

2. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Feb 22, 2010

Oh, so true, Toak!!!!
    This has been my argument with state testing all along-we are measuring our children by ONE test-without taking in all the factors that could effect the outcome. I am not making excuses, just stating facts. If people want to know why kids have such low self esteems when it comes to education-then maybe we need to quit making their intelligence a number, and look at their worth.:2cents:

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 22, 2010

I agree with what most of the other posters have said on here.

web~if, in your opinion, teaching is the most hated profession, then why did you get into it?

4. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Feb 22, 2010

Cindy Blue!! Yes, you and I have the same argument against Cynthia's statements. This is my response to her typed a few days ago. I never intended to email it, just wanted to get it out.

Cynthia, you say:

So in the beginning of the article, you are emphasizing how "middle-class child-rearing practices" show up in school achievement. You go on to say "enriching activities" and "family income level."

Those are things that we as teachers have no control over, yet you just stated how powerful these factors are in determining a child's success.

You then go on to totally negate the importance of any parental influence when you talk about the low achievement of the low-income schools.

So Cynthia, tell me what I should do as a teacher when my students miss an entire day of school just to get their hair done?

Whose fault is that? Parent or teacher?

After all, I did not give birth to any of my students nor do I have custody of any of them.

What about this Cynthia....what about the student who misses 2 entire months of school?

What about this....what about the student who misses an average of 3 days a week, every single week?
    All unexcused absences.

What about the student who doesn't know if he will sleep at grandmother's house tonight, his aunt's house, his dad's house, or his friend's house?

What about the student who has no home and goes to a shelter?

What about the student with no school records and who may have missed an entire year or two of school because his parents don't believe in sending their children to school?

Are these TRUE scenarios above the teacher's responsibility? If so, why? Those were cases from my own students. And that was only a microscopic view of the challenges faced in my class.

And you're telling me, that I am not a good teacher because my test scores are not as high as test scores in a totally different world, such as a suburban environment or another country such as China or South Korea.

And then you go on to use a charter school and a private school as examples of how to prove that low-income students can learn just as well as any other students.

1st) I believe in each and every one of my students more so than what you would ever know. I also believe in the students I substitute teach and tutor. I believe in every single child that crosses my path.

2nd) A charter school and a private school are a far cry from a PUBLIC school. Please research. And please research the details of Ron Clark's school.

First of all, the PARENTS of each and every one of his students are very very involved in their child's life and education. And that is a key factor!

I've read his books, taken notes, watch the movie, joined the forum, and subscribed to the website, subscribed to the school's e-newsletters and hard copy newsletters, featured him and his students on my little teaching blog....so I know that there is a lot that he and his staff do in order to get the kids to achieve what they do. And it is not as simple as "excited, passionate teachers who love the kids."

Research, please.

From Ron Clark's site:

As part of acceptance to the Academy, parents are required to sign a Contract of Obligation. This document pledges their support of the Academy's discipline and attendance policies and commitment to the academic pursuits of their children. Parents are also required to donate 40 hours a year to the Academy, volunteering, tutoring, working at concession stands, attending PTA meetings, and participating in workshops where our teachers will review the curriculum that is being taught in the classrooms.

So parents DO make a difference. They make the biggest difference. I finally rest my long-winded case.

5. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Feb 22, 2010

I have a gift to teach, plain and simple. It's my calling and it's my passion. And for the short time I have been in the field, I have received praises from parents, principals, other staff, teachers, and most importantly....students. :) So I am good at what I do....most of the time. :lol:

Besides venting, which is quite the common and human thing to do, I do not let other people's opinions affect me to the point where they would have an impact on what I choose to do with my entire life.

http://teacherella76.blogspot.com/

Flip through my blog....and I doubt there's a person that could ever question my love for children and (good ole' fashion) teaching (hence the old school avatar). You will question my sanity from the blog,:haha: but not my love for the job that God called me to do.

6. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Feb 22, 2010

Correct. The current system is based off an extremely outdated one that prepared students to participate in industry, manufacturing, vocational trades, and agriculture. It only seeks to arm students with the rudimentary, basic skills in those fields.

Completely agree. I am a 24 yo male who is in my third year teaching, and already I know that I won't be able to do it as long as I want to (forever). Why? Because I have a wife and kids on the way, and she will probably end up staying home after we have kids. There isn't any way that I can support a family on my salary alone.

Completely agree, and that is why I am 100+% for some form of merit pay that is based off of things like:

- Teacher workshops/seminars/conferences attended
    - Extracurricular activities with students/test preparation/etc.
    - High levels of communication with parents, students
    - Improvement (should show up in test scores)
    - Better student understanding

But oh no, tell that to the unions and they would have a screaming fit! I do not support hardly anything that teachers, in general, do. No unions, no tenure, pro merit pay, etc. I think one of the reasons our profession is so resistant to change is because of the protection that the tenure system provides.

It's Economics 101: if you increase competition by raising the bar for excellent teachers and provide them with more incentives to succeed, you'll see results. It shows up in the private sector time after time. Yet tenure does the exact opposite, and that's one of the reasons why I don't support it.

Yeah, that's pretty much right. Well said.