Teaching in the US, Education degree from the Philippines

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by ShielaVan, Aug 23, 2015.

1. ShielaVan

ShielaVan New Member

Aug 23, 2015

I obtained my BA and Masters in Education from The University of the Philippines and would like to teach Kindergarten or Elementary level in the US, once I am legally permitted to work in the US. I am moving to California in January (2016). I have been teaching in Korea and the Philippines for 12 years. If anyone has experience/ success in teaching in the US, and degreed from the Philippines, please let me know your success in doing so. Thank you.

3. Bibliophile

Bibliophile Companion

Oct 8, 2015

I have never ported my credential- though I am a california teacher and other teachers I have talked to about porting in the credential from even another U.S. State make it and like a real bother with many test to take (such as RICA me often the CSET and something specifically for certifying teaching English learners). You can look up some info on the ca board of teacher credentialing website.

4. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 9, 2015

I know that a lot of teachers from the Phillipines are working in Louisiana, mostly in the New Orleans/Baton Rouge area.

5. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Oct 9, 2015

I recently read an article in the paper about teachers from the Philippines being recruited for Arizona school districts. I don't know the details, just that it's possible, especially if you're willing to get your foot in the door by working in harder-to-fill districts.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 9, 2015

The Web site for the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing, to which Bibliophile referred, is www.ctc.ca.gov. You can find a document that spells out the requirements for a teacher prepared outside the US at http://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/leaflets/cl871.pdf. All of California's exams (well, except CSET American Sign Language) are now computer-based, so you can probably get a start on some of them where you are.

If you know the part of California to which you're moving, you could look up the Web site of the local county office of education and find contact information there for the credential analysts. They tend to be very helpful.