Teaching in San Diego

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Toast, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Toast

Toast Companion

Apr 19, 2014

My husband and I are considering a move. I am currently a teacher in Arizona and am in my 6th year. I am general ed K-8 certified. How tough is it to get a job in San Diego (or nearby suburbs)? Info would be appreciated. Thanks!

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 20, 2014

It's not easy. Lots of colleges pumping out new teachers every year and I know of 2 districts on the verge of a strike (although 1 may have come to an agreement, but it was close).
    I moved away from SD because alt. ed (the county office) wasn't hiring for a while. Since then they did post a few positions but that doesn't mean I would have gotten it.

4. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Apr 21, 2014

San Diego is tough, as is most of California, but it looks like funding will be more favorable for next year.

That being said, San Diego has a lot of different school districts. The city has a large, unified K-12 district and then most outlying cities or areas have their own. I think the previous poster was talking about Sweetwater or Chula Vista which are in south county.

Let us know if you need more info. Good luck!

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 21, 2014

Yes, one was Sweetwater, and I think they came to an agreement. The other is San Ysidro. I only know about these because my friends works for San Ysidro. I think SD can be tough, it really depends on the qualifications and experience of anyone that's applying.
    As far as I know San Diego Unified hasn't been majorly hiring for quite a while. One year they laid off hundreds of teachers, they weren't even hiring subs after that because they wanted to give any opportunities for those teachers.
    But yes, there are many outlying cities around it - the best thing to do is go on edjoin. org and check out the opportunities so far.

6. underthesun

underthesun Rookie

Apr 21, 2014

Is it really that tough of a market? (Sorry for jumping in on your thread, Toast, but I've been considering the same move to be close to some family.) I'd heard that some of the inner city schools were hiring like crazy, and that Chula Vista really needed teachers, too. Is that not true, then?

7. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Apr 21, 2014

It's probably very much like it is in the LA and Bay Area markets. If you are looking for a job in the more suburban districts, it is still tough. If you are looking at the BIG district (e.g. SDUSD, LAUSD, SFUSD), you may have a decent shot. In all areas, I see optimism. New funding is bound to help, and from what I know, the poorer area schools get more.

8. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 21, 2014

I am not from SD, but I do know LAUSD is finally hiring this year after several years of NO jobs or almost no jobs, at least in elementary, where I am. There does seem to be some movement this year - definitely more than in the past few years. I wouldn't say it will be EASY to get a job -there are still SO MANY new grads every year, and there is also a backlog of new grads from the last couple years - but it isn't impossible. Definitely easier in urban areas than suburban, that is absolutely true.

Just a tip - when I was searching in 2012 I was looking almost statewide. I believe San Diego Unified does not use Edjoin, or they do not use it exclusively...or at least they didn't then. I could be wrong. I would check on their district website first.