Teaching in Philadelphia, PA

Discussion in 'General Education' started by loveflowers, Dec 4, 2015.

1. loveflowers

loveflowers New Member

Dec 4, 2015

Hello everyone.

I'm new to this and looking for some help and advice from you.
    I come from Europe and looking for a teaching job in Philadelphia. My husband just got a job offer in Philadelphia and we're moving there this week. ( I'm not excited because i HATE cold, but nothing a can do about it). I have a Bachelor Degree from my country and it has been evaluated already, and I'm ready to start preparing to be a Certified Teacher in PA. I checked out the website for Education in PA, but it's very ambiguous and not sure what to do first.
    From what i understood i need to do following:
    1. Get my degree evaluated, and translated all the grades as well. - DONE
    2. Take the OPI test for English proficiency - Working on it
    here the things start to get not so clear
    3. Take the PRAXIS test ( I don't know which on, there are two types: I and II)
    4. Take another test which it will be the subject in the area i'll study ( I'm planing to take generalist 4-8, why it asks me to take one specific subject)
    5. If i pass these two test, am i certified to teach or not yet???

Please, if anyone knows anything about this or anything connected to get a teaching certificate in PA i would be really happy.

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 4, 2015

When I was certified in Pennsylvania, I took the PPST and Praxis for your core subject (the PLT was not required a decade ago but this might have changed). Honestly, your best bet would be to get in touch with someone at the PA Department of Education.

Welcome to my former home town!

4. loveflowers

loveflowers New Member

Dec 4, 2015

Hi and thanks for your reply.
    What do you think about Philadelphia, i see on the forums that everyone complains that there are no teaching jobs in that city. Do you think i would be able to get a teaching job there, regarding that I'm not an American and that my native language is not English ( do you think that's a negative side).

Can't wait to be there. :)

5. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Dec 4, 2015

Welcome to Pennsylvania! I agree that you want to work with the Department of Education. I am 2 hours north of Philly. Jobs have been hard to find here but it is getting better, especially in grades 4-8. Good luck!

loveflowers likes this.
  6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 4, 2015

Judging from https://www.ets.org/praxis/pa/requirements, you need the following:

a. a basic-skills test, either PAPA (which is apparently not a Praxis test) or Praxis Core 5712, 5722, and 5732

b. the Pennsylvania Core Assessment for grades 4-8, which looks like a general knowledge test and is packaged as 5152 (if you take it all in one go) or 5153, 5154, and 5155 if you take them separately

c. Whichever of the middle-level subject matter tests suits the subject matter you intend to teach (English, 5156 OR social studies, 5157, OR math, 5158, or science, 5159)

I'll add that Pennsylvania's middle-level certification covers a band from fourth grade/9 to 10 years old, which in most areas is taught self-contained (one teacher teaching most or all subject matter) to eighth grade/13 to 14 years old, which in most areas involves departmentalized classes where a teacher specializes in just part of the curriculum.

Science and math are generally a bit harder to find teachers for than English or social studies, and middle school (typically grades 6 to 8) is generally a bit harder to staff than is elementary school (typically grades 5 and below).

As for your first language not being English, it ought to be possible to package that not as a disadvantage but as a selling point.

loveflowers likes this.
  7. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Dec 6, 2015

It's been a long time since I had to get my Pennsylvania certificate, so I'm not much help there. There was no such thing as the Praxis then....it was the National Teacher Exam. "catnfiddle" is right about contacting the PA Department of Education......that's your best bet for the most current and correct information.

I spent a fair chunk of my career teaching in the City of Philadelphia at the high school level and it was/still is tough. Be prepared to pretty much operate on your own as far as getting materials and classroom management. You can check for positions at http://www.phila.k12.pa.us/. You can also probably find openings at school districts that directly border on Philadelphia, but any decent suburban school district - almost impossible to get into. But good luck!

loveflowers likes this.