Teaching in Oregon

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Miss Kirby, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Mar 19, 2008

I'm considering relocating to Oregon in a year or two. Does anyone have any input on what education and teaching in Oregon is like?? I went to school there prek-3... I remember liking it, haha. :rolleyes:

Thanks.

3. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 14, 2008

Anyone, anyone???

I'm still interested!! I've been thinking about moving to the Portland area. If not in the city then nearby, like Beaverton. What is the cost of living like there?

4. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Apr 14, 2008

I live in WA and considered moving to Oregon a few years ago... I know everyone told me they have terrible issues with the school system! I'm not sure WHAT the issues are though. Have you looked at their website?

It is a lovely place to live though.

5. sub&mom

sub&mom Companion

Apr 14, 2008

on another board I was on previously there was a sub from Or. on there. She said the pay is pretty good for subs, so maybe it's also just as good for full time teachers

6. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 14, 2008

I was looking at the Beaverton School District and Portland School District's websites. They pay well, it seems.

Looking at the Beaverton SD pay scale for 08-09, if I can transfer keeping my same number of years teaching and not start over, with a masters degree, I'd make $41,259 (which is a lot more than I am making now!).

The only thing is that it doesn't look like it pays you in between your BA and masters, and it doesn't look like they pay you for any credits you take after your masters.

$45,471 is what I think I'd be making in Portland. They do pay for every 15 credits before and after your BA and masters. This is for the current school year. It's like $10,000 more than what I'm making now! (although that will be two years from now with a masters).

Anyway, my point is, the salary looks pretty good!

7. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Apr 14, 2008

I have family that lives in Portland and the surrounding area. The cost of living is pretty high. The Portland school district seems to have a lot of turmoil, but I'm not sure what the issues are other than budget.