Teaching in one district. Subbing in another. Legal?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by bbelton60, Feb 4, 2015.

1. bbelton60

bbelton60 Rookie

Feb 4, 2015

I started this school year as a sub, after 2 weeks I started my student teaching, then applied for and received my credential. I have since gotten a teaching job in another district but am still on the sub list in the district I started the year in. The district I am working for has a day off next week and I would like to sub that day in my original district. I told a teacher friend of mine my intentions and he warned me that it might be illegal and be considered "double dipping". Never heard this term (sans Seinfeld).

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 4, 2015

Illegal, I doubt. Against your contract or against policy in the other district, possibly. This might be a good question to put to the county office of education or to HR in each district.

4. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2015

Seconding what TeacherGroupie said. At the tail end of my maternity leave position, the teacher came back for the morning half of the day. I was highly encouraged to sub in the morning (even did so in the same school a few times, which was fun), and just made sure after school / during lunch I did any prep work so I could still provide the same quality during those afternoon half days.

5. greendream

greendream Cohort

Feb 4, 2015

Dude, just enjoy your day off.

6. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Companion

Feb 4, 2015

Why would it be illegal or against some rule when this would be a rare situation? Many teachers work part-time jobs but how many would consider or have the opportunity to sub in another district?

Working full-time for one employer and part-time for another employer is common in many fields. My wife is a nurse practitioner and works part-time for a different health system. Many ER doctors work at several, sometimes competing hospitals.

7. bbelton60

bbelton60 Rookie

Feb 5, 2015

Something about contributing the STRS in multiple ways is a violation of a teacher's contract. Something like that is what I heard. I'm still going to do it. The school I want to sub at is the one I student taught at and I wanted to surprise all my former co-workers...

8. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Companion

Feb 5, 2015

What if you teach in one district and coach in another? How is that any different?

9. bbelton60

bbelton60 Rookie

Feb 6, 2015

If you coached in another district, you'd be considered classified and wouldn't put into STRS.

10. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 7, 2015

I really don't think it would be illegal, but based on some of the responses I read here, I would check with HR just in case.

11. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Feb 9, 2015

I'm pretty curious about this. I can't imagine why it would be considered a problem. At the same time, I don't think I've ever heard of a teacher who subbed on her/his day off. I too, think it would be fun to visit a school you used to frequent.