Teaching In Ohio Question

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Kara17, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Kara17

Kara17 New Member

Aug 11, 2015

Since I have very little time in college left, I've been thinking about moving from my home state. I would like to move to Ohio and teach there. The other factor in my decision is that I would really like to get into grad school at a particular university there for my Masters and later Doctorate. So in a round about way:blush: I would like to ask those who live in Ohio, what the situation is there for Elementary Ed. teachers? If it helps, when I graduate I will also have a Special Ed. add on.:thanks:

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 11, 2015

Honestly, it depends upon where in the state you're looking. There are still a sizable number of openings here in central Ohio (Columbus area), so if you're considering OSU or another school in the region, you're in luck. Other regions may not be as easy to find work. Check http://education.ohio.gov/About/Education-Jobs for a more conclusive answer to your question.

4. jw12

jw12 Rookie

Aug 11, 2015

I agree. Job availability really depends on the area. Something also to consider is Ohio's Resident Educator program http://education.ohio.gov/Topics/Teaching/Resident-Educator-Program. It's a 4-year program which all new teachers in Ohio must complete that culminates in a year-long summative assessment. It's a lot of extra planning, paperwork, etc. for first year teachers to handle.

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 11, 2015

Elementary seems harder to find. My district hired three new staff members this year. They're all in junior high or high school, none in our elementary. It's a little late in the year to get an idea of postings but you could take a look at ODE to see what's still open so you have an idea. I grew up in Northeastern OH and live in Central OH so if you have questions about those areas, feel free to PM me.

I did the resident educator program (first class from it), and I didn't find it too painful. It was annoying at times, but it wasn't overwhelming. I obviously have nothing to compare it to though.

6. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 11, 2015

Why do you want to move to Ohio? I'm just curious :). I'm from OH, but have been living in CO since I graduated. People here always make fun of OH and/or talk really negatively about it! If I say anything positive at all people act like I'm being absurd. It's just so weird to hear about someone trying to relocate there! I'm not embarrassed of my home state, but I will say I don't plan on moving back. IMO, teachers do make a really good living there, especially compared to the COL. Unions seem to be really strong also.

The job market was really, really bad when I left (2010). My parents are teachers and they say it's gotten slightly better. I think that's partly due to not as many students going into education and partly due to a lot of districts offering incentives for teachers to retire early. My dad teaches elementary in the suburbs near Cincinnati and when I graduated his school was regularly getting 5,000 + applicants for a single position! He mentioned that this year they had one opening and "only" got around 1500 applicants. Obviously very rural areas and inner city areas are going to have less competition, but I don't think elementary jobs are easy to come by anywhere in the state. I went to college next to an extremely poor performing, "rough" district that I would never want to work in full time, and they got around 300-400 applicants for their elementary positions. I think there are more sped openings because of high burnout, but there is competition there too. When I was in school everyone knew how bad the job market was and the advice given was to get dual certification with sped. Almost everyone in my elementary program did dual cert, and a lot of my friends from other colleges did too. Only two people from my program got jobs in OH right after graduation, and one was in severe needs pre-k and the other was in middle school sped, so they didn't get the ages/disability level that they wanted. I originally left OH because of the job market. It seemed that there was just really no way in without spending years subbing first (I'm very convinced I would hate subbing) or taking a really undesirable position. I don't like the way they do sped there and it seemed if I were to get a job, it would have to be in sped. I planned to get some experience and move back, but then I just fell in love with my current location! I wish I had the salary/COL that Ohioans do, but as my coworkers say, "But then you have to live in Ohio!"

7. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2015

Charter schools in Columbus are still looking to fill positions. The job market in the public districts is loosening up a bit and more new teachers got contracts in Columbus City this year than in recent years.

8. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Aug 13, 2015

I'm curious about this too, OP:) Although I love my city I think I'd also like living in other areas/states too. I live & teach in the Cleveland area/NE Ohio and can answer questions about searching there if you'd like. The better districts are pretty difficult to get a job in, and I will also say that my experience applying for jobs in Ohio from outside of Ohio was extremely challenging.

9. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Aug 14, 2015

The Mrs. is from NW Ohio.
    I can't tell you anything about the education job market.....just wanted to post that the Mrs. is from NW Ohio.
    :lol: