Teaching in NYC/LI

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by kmeteach, Aug 26, 2014.

1. kmeteach

kmeteach Companion

Aug 26, 2014

Haven't posted on here in a long time, but I would appreciate any advice from teachers in the NYC/LI area:

I'm currently working as a TA in a special ed classroom. Overall it's been a learning experience, mostly positive, but I have been ready to move on for quite awhile now. However, this summer is the first summer in which I've had absolutely no phone calls, let alone interviews. I truly can't understand what I'm doing wrong. I've had people who teach and people who don't teach read over my resume and cover letter and they say it's great. I've used OLAS, Teach NYC, emailed schools, looked on other job sites....I'm at a loss.

I have a coworker who is in the same position as me, yet she's had a lot of success with OLAS, which completely baffles me. Is there some secret to using it I don't know about? Are there other websites I may not know about that post jobs?

More importantly, is it too late to keep applying? I don't know what else to do at this point. I'm grateful to have a job, but I want to truly start my teaching career and to be a TA for nearly 4 years is frustrating.

3. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 26, 2014

I'm in the same position as you. I graduated in 2012 and have yet to find a full time teaching job. I've been subbing since graduation.

I have gotten absolutely no bites from OLAS ... Every job I see that I can apply to I do...been doing this for two years now. I started getting as frustrated as you have. At first I thought it was me so I completely redid both my cover letter and resume... Still nothing ...it's very confusing, you think your stuff is good but it ends up being not what they are looking for.

This year I started a different approach. I went the private school/doe approach. I got nothing from NYC doe (unless I'm willing to go to the Bronx which I'm not) but I got a few bites from private schools! Even if they didn't have anything on their website I sent whoever I thought was appropriate an email with my cover letter and resume and just let them know I was available. I went from 0 bites to 3 within a week! It may not seem like a lot but it was so sudden and shocking especially so late in the summer.

Anyway the point is if you are willing to go the private school route try it!! The only advice I have is only apply for jobs you are 100% willing to work at. I had a mini pity party for myself while sending out resumes and turns out I wouldn't be comfortable working at some of the schools that were interested in me so definitely do your research!

As far as public schools are concerned, I am still wondering what I am doing wrong but after everything that has happened this week I guess it's just that so many people just like us are applying it's just too much competition. I'm thinking I'm going to end up applying out of state if things don't change. Everyone says wait a few years and things will light up but I just don't feel like waiting around.

Sorry for the novel length reply! Good luck! You're not alone!

4. CreativeTeachR

CreativeTeachR Companion

Aug 26, 2014

I graduated in 2012 with my Masters in Early Childhood Education with a professional certification. I applied every where and did not receive ONE job interview! I was working at a day care center for 12.00 an hour with two master degrees. I took the plunge and applied to a catholic school in new haven, ct. My wife and I moved at the end of august 2012. As soon as I arrived I applied for certification in CT. I had to take the praxis exam. Needless to say Long Island is a dry market, they are still letting teachers go and cutting budgets. Since being in CT for two years I have seen such a difference in the education system. Their are so many magnet schools and charter schools and they are still building schools. If you don't mind working in an urban setting I suggest you relocate to CT. It's not that far from Long Island I am only a ferry ride away. It's who you know on Long Island, not what you know these days. I would also look into applying for the DOE for NYC. It's a long process as they are very strict with who they accept and the job hunt is a joke. They don't post any jobs on the website and you have to send your resume to every individual school in the city. It's very time consuming, but if you are dedicated I would give it a try.

I would stay in your para position this year and dedicate this year for applying for certification in other states close to NY and/or look more into the NYC school systems. I honestly doubt you will find a job on Long Island any time soon :unsure: I applied this year to a bunch of schools and I only had one interview because I know the ast. superintendent and I still didn't get the job! :dizzy:

Good Luck!

5. kmeteach

kmeteach Companion

Aug 26, 2014

Thanks. Yeah, LI is no place to be a new teacher. I did submit everything to the NYC DOE website and requested to be in the new teacher finder. I wouldn't even know where to start with emailing different schools in the DOE!

I would be willing to go to a private school if it paid well and had good benefits. Are these schools on the island or in the city?

I had to renew my initial certifications this year and I think it's so unfair that being a TA doesn't count toward your permanent certification in NY. I actually teach in my position.

Also curious to see what exactly I would have to do if I chose to move and teach out of state. It's not exactly practical for me right now, but I do have family in another state (PA) and would consider going there if it's not difficult to get certified.

6. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 26, 2014

I did both NYC and LI for private schools. If you search the NYS education website they have a list of approved private schools ... because remember to count towards your certification the school you work at also has to be approved (total bs, but whatever)
    you just have to do your research truthfully. its time consuming but like I said I actually got bites from doing that so I guess its worth it for the right job just becareful some may not offer full time / benefits... (another reason to really think about WHERE you apply, that was my issue)

i agree completely about TA not counting.. this is one of the main reasons I chose not to TA and to sub instead ... its ridiculous for TA not to count

7. nyteach89

nyteach89 Companion

Aug 26, 2014

I just got a job with the DOE and landed the job through the new teacher finder (which shocked me since it is like olas). The school contacted me after seeing my resume on the new teacher finder. I went to a summer workshop at the school today and the other people hired didn't apply to the new teacher finder- they go the jobs by just mailing in a bunch of resumes. Good luck with your search! I know how hard it is to find something, I graduated in 2012 and only found something this year after getting no calls off olas or the new teacher finder from last year.

8. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 26, 2014

It's never too late to apply. As said before it's really hard to find a job on Long Island. I got a job with the NYC DOE this year. I sent out over 200+ resumes directly to Principals. I went on only 3 public school interviews, I was hired at the third one. After I accepted the position only 2 more Ps contacted me for interviews, one was from my mass emailing, the other found me on the New Teacher Finder, granted it was because I have a rare cert Educational Technology and it was for a computer teacher position.

A Few Ps emailed me back to say they had no positions or to ask if I was bilingual or had ESL. If you have a common branch cert is not that easy to land something. They hired a lot of teachers at my new school and only 2 of us including myself was for common branch! And my school is in the Bronx. I sent my résumé to mostly schools in brooklyn and queens (never got around to Manhattan, wasn't planning to send to Staten Island) I believe I sent my résumé to 5 schools in the Bronx. You have to be open to applying everywhere other wise you risk waiting and waiting. Getting a job in Queens is not easy, it's a lot of who you know here, subbing and getting lucky with a rare in demand cert.

9. luv2teach415

luv2teach415 Companion

Aug 26, 2014

I'm in a similar situation as you are. I've tried for two years with OLAS and not one bite. Those teachers hardly ever leave and when they do, you need to know someone really high up if not the superintendent. I've tried with the DOE teacher finder for 4 years. Four years ago the DOE was going through their hiring freeze and would only hire SPED or ESL neither of which I had. I just finished getting my SPED certification and still didn't have any luck. I had a few interviews this summer but nothing that led to an offer. I've heard my resume is great and I interview great (I was actually told this by a P), but in two of my interviews this summer, the teacher who said they were leaving decided not to leave. It's so disheartening and makes me really consider either relocating or leaving the profession. The thing is I wouldn't even know what to do if I left teaching. Who would think in a city where there are about two thousand schools that it would be this difficult to find a job? I just feel lost.

10. kmeteach

kmeteach Companion

Aug 27, 2014

Thanks everyone for the replies, it's good to see that others can relate to how I'm feeling. If I could just sub, I would, but I used to sub and I would rarely get called for jobs. Districts hire too many subs here and I got tired of fighting for jobs on Aesop. Plus I needed steady pay and benefits, all of which my current job offers. Unfortunately the pay isn't great, but what can I do?

Bunnie, how did you find the email addresses for each principal? I took at look at the DOE website and individual school sites, but it seemed like a mess. I just stuck with the new teacher finder. I finished up my application but I think it's still "under review".

I'm sorry to hear that luv2teach415, that is so frustrating! I haven't even seen many teaching jobs on OLAS unless they're leave replacements. My district may need a few TAs but I am not certain. I can let you know though if you're interested.

11. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 27, 2014

I was certified in NY- went to college in LI. I'm not really sure why, but as soon as I graduated I went back to NJ (where I grew up) and I found a teaching job at a private school with no problem.

Maybe there were so many people in my education courses- multiplied by how many colleges there were, so I thought I had a slim chance of getting a job there.

Have you tried upstate NY?

I would have suggested NJ too, but if you're trying for a public school position you have to legally live in NJ now (it's a law in place). Private schools will hire out-of-state though.

12. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 27, 2014

I was fortunate enough to have a kindergarten registration book for Queens and Brooklyn my friend gave me that listed every elementary school in the boroughs along with principal emails.

However what you can do is find out who the principal is for schools you are interested in and then google the first and last name and doe email and you may get some hits. I also had friends who work in the doe search in the doe email database for outlook when I was having trouble finding a principals email.

It's possible to still get a job. It's just going to be in hard to staff schools. Also here's this website. There's only one recent job but doesn't hurt to apply. Lots of schools posted in the spring and summer.

http://readingandwritingproject.com/resources/jobs.html

Good luck!!!

13. luv2teach415

luv2teach415 Companion

Aug 27, 2014

Thank you kmeteach! Don't get me wrong, I have a teaching job so I am very grateful, but the pay is pretty low compared to NYC public schools, long island schools, and even the private schools. I've actually applied to schools all over the the state. I was willing to relocate throughout NY state, but I'm not sure how useful or effective OLAS is to get a job. I honestly am just so frustrated because, sadly, I think it's only about who you know in the district and not necessarily about your qualifications. This seems to be especially true in long island schools and is starting to seem that way with NYC public schools.

Oh, and by the way, I use http://readingandwritingproject.com/resources/jobs.html all the time. I actually got 2 interviews this summer from that website. The thing is they really want you to have knowledge of the Reading and Writing project through Teacher's College.

14. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 27, 2014

That's how I landed my job, using the website. Funnily enough they didn't ask me too much in regards to TC. I have however been independently using TC at the private school I was in and the charter I subbed in used TC. So I have a decent amount of exposure all my teaching career. :)

15. kmeteach

kmeteach Companion

Aug 27, 2014

Thanks for the link, I will check that site out! I don't have any experience with TC so hopefully it won't be too much of a negative.

I think when it comes down to actual teaching positions, it is all about who you know. I've worked as a TA in two different districts, I got the first job through a posting on their website, and got my current job by sending out emails to principals (and my principal scheduled an interview a few weeks later).

I will do some googling this weekend in regards to the DOE. If nothing happens with emails, I hope they at least keep my profile open on the new teacher finder.

If I have the opportunity to move upstate or out of state I would try my luck, but I do not have the money to move right now. I don't earn much and I have school loans and bills to pay.