Teaching in Florida

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Aliceacc, May 6, 2006.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 6, 2006

Hi everyone,

I just received this e-mail. I'm not interested, but thought it might help someone else:

Dear Alice,

Want to teach in a beautiful, diverse and exciting state? Come to Florida...the Sunshine State!

Florida is looking for highly effective teachers to come and enjoy the benefits of being a Florida resident and contributing to the education of Florida's students.

This email is your invitation to attend THE GREAT FLORIDA TEACH-IN, a statewide teacher job fair sponsored by the Florida Department of Education.

At the Teach-In, you can learn more about Florida and interview with school districts from across the state. Register now to set up interviews with district representatives who are attending the Teach-In!

When: June 7-8, 2006

Where: Tampa Convention Center
    http://www.teachers-teachers.com/r?tampaconventioncenter

Register now to set up interviews at:
    http://www.teachers-teachers.com/r?flteachin/app.

DEADLINE for online registrations is May 18, 2006.

For more information, please click:
    http://www.teachers-teachers.com/r?flteachin.

We look forward to meeting you at The Great Florida Teach-In. Florida will hire over 30,000 new teachers this year, and we need teachers who believe in excellence. We need you!

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to email me at
    edrecruiter@fldoe.org.

Sincerely,

Ian

------------------------------------------------
    Ian Barker
    Program Director for Educator Recruitment
    Florida Department of Education

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This email was sent to you because you are a member of Teachers-Teachers.com.

To change your email options, or to make your account inactive, login to your account at www.teachers-teachers.com.

If you forgot your username and/or password, go to www.teachers-teachers.com/password.

3. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

May 6, 2006

We are needing teachers in Florida BIG TIME! I went to the Teach-In in 2004, got a job, and moved to Fl from KY two months later. No regrets!

4. Mitzi

Mitzi Rookie

May 6, 2006

Aliceacc,

Is there a Teacher to Teacher.com website or is it
    Teachers-Teachers. com?

Thanks!
    mitzi

5. Mitzi

Mitzi Rookie

May 6, 2006

Aliceacc,

When I tried to log in to Teachers-Teachers.com, a screen came up and indicated Invalid name or Password. For my Password, I use my cat's name which has 12 characters. Is that too many characters?

Thanks!

Mitzi

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 7, 2006

Hi.
    I bet it came up as invalid because it had been sent to me.

Try to google them and see what comes up. Registration is free, you can make up your own password. (And I'm pretty sure it's teacher-teacher.com)

They send fairly frequent e-mails of this type.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

8. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

May 7, 2006

I like the teachers-teachers site because once you put in your resume and cover letter, applying for jobs is so easy. When you put in the locations you wnat to work they email you the openings in that area. I got my job through an out of state job fair though, and I thought I had a fat chance of that happening.

9. sammaroo1

sammaroo1 Rookie

May 7, 2006

Take it or leave it advice.
    First, let me tell you my background: I am finishing up my rookie season of teaching. This is my second career (I am 36). I have a fifth grade class in a Title 1 school and 1/2 the students in my class have an AIP. My principal is new and isn't really a people person. (A lot of teachers are getting out this year for this reason).
    That said, here's my opinion of teaching in Florida.
    Jeb is the president's brother, so this state maybe more than others emphasizes the "No child gets ahead" I mean, "NCLB" program. Also in this state we have the FCAT which is the annual "Don't pass, don't go on" exam for 3rd and 10th graders.(All students 3rd and up take it but its only "high" stakes in 3rd and 10th) (no pressure there).
    Now the state is entertaining some kind of notion to only give bonuses (or something to do with money) to teachers whose students show a gain according to this FCAT exam. Unfortunately, there are students who, because they know it doesnt matter if they pass this test or not being in 5th grade, will NOT do their best.
    I think y'all will make the right decision.
    (P.S. I am moving out of state this summer)

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 7, 2006

It is why I don't want to teach in public school in Florida.

We need a science teacher at my private school. Anyone interested?

11. Mitzi

Mitzi Rookie

May 7, 2006

Aliceacc,

THANKS!!

When I Googled teacher-teacher.com Sponsored Links, keep changing. Once it stated: "This is Google's cache of the snapshot we took as we crawled... the page may have changed since that time. Does it really??

Once again, when I put in Goggle "teachers-teachers.com
    the screen came up:

"Teaching Jobs Nationwide -
    Free Resource for Teachers."

http:// www.teachers-teachers.com/
    brought up Educaton's Premier Recruitment Service.

ALL GREAT TO CLICK INTO!
    Thanks, Aliceacc!
    mitzi

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 8, 2006

Glad I could help!

13. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

14. NELNaples

NELNaples Rookie

May 8, 2006

Since I live in Florida - he is my 5 cents (inflation) - most parents do know how important the FCAT is. This is mainly why I want to teach Kindergarten so I get them when they come in and create a positive classroom for students to feel comfortable in.

However, I have seen many parents freaking out over the FCAT. Whether or not I feel they are right or wrong - pretty much not the issue because they are here. We start prepping those kids in Kindergarten so they are on track. I always tell my students - the harder you try now the easier time you will have when you get to 3rd grade!

15. Starista

Starista Cohort

May 9, 2006

Amen.

16. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

17. Mitzi

Mitzi Rookie

May 10, 2006

Many Thanks mommaruthire!

I clicked into the site you gave me and will fill out the on-line application.
    Broward County lists the instructional vacancies already!!
    However, even with my glasses on, I can'e see the small print.
    I've clicked the enlarge icon at the top of the screen, but it's still the little print. Advice??

mitzi

P.S. Is Broward County by the ocean?

18. danielnellis@ho

danielnellis@ho New Member

May 10, 2006

OO OO pick me

Please contact me @ danielnellis@hotmail.com
    Looking to start teaching..BS biology MS Wildlife Mgt. Have been working as a Captain in the Virgin Islands

19. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 10, 2006

I sent you a private message with the contact info.

20. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

May 11, 2006

Broward county is as far west as the everglades, as in Weston/bonaventure and as far east as the beaches. It borders to Dade County at Aventura/Ives Dairy Road which is North Miami Beach.

21. Florida Teacher

Florida Teacher New Member

May 19, 2006

Come Teach In Florida

I have been a very happy Florida teacher for 11 years.
    I encourage everyone to consider coming to teach Florida's great kids!:angel:

22. Sarah5483

Sarah5483 Companion

May 19, 2006

yep, i moved to florida (lee county to be exact) to teach my first year of teaching. the school district is terrible and the location is entirely made up of retirees and vacationers. i am moving back to ohio this summer, where i came from

23. Florida Teacher

May 20, 2006

Don't leave Florida, we need you!

If you are unhappy in Lee, why not try Collier? Collier has a great school system, high tech schools, etc. If Collier is too expensive to live, you could live in Lee, in Bonita Springs or Estero, two towns very close to Naples.

Give Coller a try: collier.k12.fl.us
    :angel:

24. Florida Teacher

May 20, 2006

Some things to think about....

I didn't like FCAT for a long time either, but we can't ignore the fact that kids are better readers and better at math because of it. For a long time people complained that Florida schools were terrible, now that Florida is leading the nation in school reform and climbing up the ranking ladder with smarter-than-ever students people still are not satisfied. As an AP teacher who has received performance pay ($50) per student who passes the AP exam, the incentive did give me that little extra desire to check my lesson plans one more time. Let's face it, society is going to pay for performance. No one in any industry gets a raise unless they perform well. We all also know that there are great teachers who go above and beyond as well as teachers who barely do their jobs. This is life, this is reality. Why should I make the same amount of money as the teacher who doesn't begin class on time and reads the newspaper while his/her kids climb the walls? Plus, I have read the legislation and it says that teachers of other disciplines are eligible for bonuses, not just FCAT teachers. With STAR, it's going to be up to the district ti sumit a performance pay proposal to the state school board. Teachers should get involved in shaping their district's plan. Would I try a little bit harder for the extra bonus? You bet! I, like everyone else, am money motivated. Teachers are money motivated. If we weren't we would not be asking for better pay. This is a way to get it. Also people think that the state controls raises. It doesn't, districts do through collective bargaining with the unions. Salaries differ from county to county. Something to think about.

25. jeifer

jeifer Rookie

May 25, 2006

I live in FL and have been working on my certification for the past three years. I've not been able to get a job in the public school system even now that I am eligible for my professional certificate. I've taught the past three years in private school but the state won't give me my state certification while I'm there. I'd have to go through FACCS (which my private school is not accredited with so I can't do that).

I went to Polk county's job fair a couple of weeks ago. For the most part, a majority of the schools had already hired / filled all their positions before any interviewing started at 8:30. And I had a principal be really honest with me. To the principals in public schools, I don't have enough "real" experience coming from a private school because there is no pressure there for the FCAT. Principals are taking a chance hiring a "new" teacher especially if the schools grade (from FCAT) is low. She said that its like they kick themselves because that teacher most likely won't be able to produce what they need to help up their grade. I experienced this every where I interviewed, she was just kind enough to be really honest with me. She even told me that I really should reconsider switching to public school. There is such a huge shortage of teachers for the state of FL that they are looking out of state and out of the country...but they turn their backs on those like me who really want to teach but no one wants to give you a chance. Its crazy and sometimes discouraging!

EVERYONE I know thinks I'm crazy for leaving the private school. I know there will be adjustments but I want to teach Kindergarten where the kids can learn through play, not me just lecturing to them all day long with their hands folded on their desks (my principal marked me lower on my evaluation because my k's were in "constant motion". She wrote a note saying I needed to make them sit that way.) I'm not giving up about the public school. I know come July or Aug when there is no one left to interview, I'll get calls. It happened 2 years ago but I had already signed a contract at the private school for the next year and I didn't want to back out of it.

Jenn