Teaching in Florida...worth the move?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Linda8416, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Linda8416

Linda8416 Rookie

Apr 29, 2018

Hi all!

I am currently a NYC general education teacher. My husband and I recently began to consider moving to Florida.

Any florida teacher on here that would provide more information on the expectations, pay, and way of life for teacher down in the south?

Our pay is OKAY but the cost of living is very high up here. Expectations are ridiculuous, but I love what I do, and wish to continue doing it in a much warmer state.

Any help?

Leaborb192 likes this.
  3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 29, 2018

Palm Beach County is awful. Martin county to the north not really better and pay lower. I'd look on the west coast. There are quite a few members here from the westerly and central counties.

Joyful! likes this.
  4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 29, 2018

Central Florida always has many jobs. The pay is not terrific, but the perks out way the negatives for me...local beaches, theme parks, pleasant weather (except for the middle of the summer!). I am a little biased because I have lived here for almost 40 years and would never go anywhere else.

5. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Apr 29, 2018

Location, location, location.

Palm Beach County is very expensive as a place to live. The housing prices are very high, as well as insurance, and other living expenses. We had a friend move here from MI who has expressed time and again the difference in grocery prices from there to here. It is always unfavorable.

On a teacher's salary, it can be a challenge.

I've heard from others that Pinellas County is good, but that is always based on the opinion of others.

6. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Apr 29, 2018

I posted several years ago about potentially moving to Florida and got PAGES of responses about why it was a bad idea ;). I didn't end up doing it. It sounds like the general climate for teachers isn't great. NY has pretty strong unions, right? You're not going to find that perk in FL. I would have been coming from a Right to Work state, so I figured it wouldn't be a huge difference for me, and a lot of people were still saying that things were especially bad there.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  7. GPC0321

GPC0321 Companion

Apr 30, 2018

As someone who tries to visit Disney World as often as humanly possible, I don't blame you. I keep saying I'm going to move down there when I retire and work at Disney.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  8. Janedo5513

Janedo5513 Rookie

May 3, 2018

No it's not worth it. As someone who has taught in Central Florida (Space Coast). It's not worth it. I have found that most administration here do not have the back bone to support their teachers because they want to appease the parents. Schools here are based on a grading system and they will do whatever it takes to get an "A" rating.

This comes from the yearly standardized test called the FSA (use to be FCAT). It also depends how schools get funding from the state. Even if a school gets a "C" it's like the end of the world. Also, because of the FSA, the outcome based on the students performance, a VAM score is calculated and based on their performance, it is determined if you get a raise and worse case scenario keep your job.

The FSA is a common core test, which most states are gearing towards but it's not align with Florida State Standards. It was actually written for Utah State Standards (go figure). By the fourth grade, they expect them to compose an entire essay, five paragraphs and all. One year, I looked at the question that was given to them and it was more suited for an eighth grader than for a fourth grader. Each year, when it's almost test time, I have kids having panic attacks and in tears because if they get lower than a 3, they can be held back. The test goes by a number system, 1-5. I try to let parents know they can always opt out and as long as they show improvement throughout the year, and I keep a portfolio on them, they will move on to the next grade. No child should be having panic attacks, when test season is coming.

The state is also pushing for more charter schools and last year was the first year where parents can pick where they can send their child, no matter the zoning as long as it has an open slot. But the stipulation is, if you do this, you as the parent are responsible for transportation for your child to and from school.

Where I am, they finally agreed to a 2% pay raise after a 10 year freeze on pay and there is no pay scale. As of now, there are 50, yes I mean 50 open instructional positions open. And it is only going to get worse next year. We are about 2 hrs South where Parkland school shooting occurred and not only is the district is talking about having a school resource officer at every school but also a "trained" volunteer as well. The trained volunteer must have ccw permit and their version of trained is through their program of 16 hours of additional training. If this passes, I know many teachers, will turn in their letters of resignation.

Go to Georgia. Pay is much better better and the cost of living is still cheaper depending on where you live. Good luck!

Upsadaisy likes this.
  9. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

May 3, 2018

...and hurricanes and sweltering heat.

SpecialPreskoo likes this.