Teaching in California

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Tori Younger, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Tori Younger

Tori Younger Guest

Jan 20, 2018

Hello! I am graduating this May with my Bachelor's degree in education from Texas Christian University. I want to teach elementary school in California next fall, specifically Orange County, but I am so confused on the qualifications I need. What tests do I need to take? CBEST? CSET? RICA? all of them? I am interested in teaching in public school or private school. How do I go about getting my credential in California? And when does this all need to be done in order to be able to apply to jobs in time? Any information is helpful! Thank you so much!

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jan 20, 2018

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 21, 2018

In addition, you might want to chat up the credential analysts at the Orange County Department of Education.

Unless you're authorized for something like ESL in Texas, you'll also need to satisfy the CLAD requirement for California, which will mean taking CTEL or equivalent coursework; the people at OCDE can give you guidance about that.

5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Jan 21, 2018

To get your Preliminary Multiple Subject Teaching credential in California, you must pass the CBEST; CSET Mutiple Subject Subtests I, II, and III; and the RICA, in addition to completing a commission-approved teaching credential program. Modern teaching programs have coursework on teaching English-Language Learners (ELL) and thus your credential would have an embedded CLAD authorization upon successful completion of the program.

Good luck! You have a long ways to go before you get your own classroom.

Steps to Become an Elementary Teacher:

http://www.teachingdegree.org/california/

CA Certification Tests: https://www.ctc.ca.gov/docs/default-source/credentials/files/caw-exams.pdf

6. Jac901

Jac901 New Member

Jan 28, 2018

I hope that you will succeed.

futuremathsprof likes this.