Teaching in Australia

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Miss Kirby, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Mar 2, 2008

Does anyone know of any websites or programs for teaching abroad in Australia? I'd love to do it for a year - but I can't seem to find any good information online like there is for teaching abroad in the UK.

I'm not sure how it would work - since their school year is opposite of ours.

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Mar 2, 2008

I can't really be of any help, but I do know there are many teachers on this forum from Australia and New Zealand. I am sure they will be able to give you the best info. Good Luck and how cool would it be to teach in Australia :)

I am not sure their school year is opposite of ours - I think we think that because seasons are opposite.

4. Poisontipped

Poisontipped Rookie

Mar 2, 2008

The school season in Australia starts in February and finishes in about mid December. So, the children have the summer off.

Are you interested in any particular state at all? Primary or Secondary?

In any event, your best bet would be to look up the department of education and training of the respective state. For example, if you want to teach in New South Wales, google NSW Department of Education and Training (DET) and that should provide you with vast amounts of information on teaching in NSW.

Hope I helped!

5. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Mar 2, 2008

I was hoping there would be something out there similar to www.timeplan.com but for Australia.

I'm interested mostly in the western area of Australia.

I'm wondering how it will work since my school year is from August to May, and in Australia it's February to December. I'd have to leave in the middle of the year to start the year in Australia, then come back after a year of teaching and I would be in the middle of the school year w/o a job! The only way I could see it happening is if I took 2 years off and I can only get a 1 year leave of absense.

6. Poisontipped

Poisontipped Rookie

Mar 3, 2008

Well i'm from Western Australia, which is good because I can give you some more advice!

Education in Australia is done quite differently to the way education is done in the USA. In Australia, all the public schools are run by the department of education and training of WA. There are no counties and everything, if you work in a public school in Perth, it's similar to working in a public school in say Broome or Albany (with minor differences). If you were in a rural or a remote school (like in a remote community) teachers get subsidized housing, subsidized gas, tax breaks, more pay but the conditions can be pretty low. If you are interested in teaching in the regional cities or the capital city then the housing isn't subsidized and can be quite expensive, you may want to share. If you are interested in teaching in Private or Catholic/Religious schools, they are independent of the government and you need to apply to them directly, the pay in private schools is the same as the pay of public schools (contrary to what your probably used to in the USA). You may want to leave your job mid year, go to Australia and sub for the 4 or so months until you find a new permanent job (subs in West Aus get about 226 per day before tax)....

Anyway, I suggest you go to

http://www.det.wa.edu.au/teachingwa/ccm/navigation/interstate-and-overseas-teachers/

for more information.

Good luck

7. Miss Walda

Miss Walda Rookie

Mar 3, 2008

There are a few employment agencies that can get you casual and temporary (placements for longer than 4 weeks) jobs in schools. I know that they place teachers in Sydney, you will have to check with them about Western Australia. Most of the work they have will probably be in the larger cities.

Just google these

Select Education Australia

Smart teachers Australia

Protocol Education Australia

If you would like to work in rural and remote areas, the Northern Territory has a recruitment program running at the moment that sounds interesting. If you agree to teach in the schools for a set amount of time they will pay for your airfares. I think this will mainly be in small isolated communities (under 200 people in the town) with possibly a lot of social problems and little or no access to facilities.

Google: Teach Northern Territory

8. MrsLilHen

MrsLilHen Comrade

Mar 3, 2008

I have a friend) at school who did an exchange several years ago. He went for a Australian school year which meant he left in the middle of the school year here and a teacher from there came here for the same year. I believe they stayed at each others houses. By all accounts, it was a really neat year for everyone.

9. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Mar 4, 2008

I don't know about Australia but New Zealand's education website (or one of the many) is www.edgazette.govt.net
    I did my student teaching in New Zealand and LOVED it... I especially recommend the Bay of Plenty area and staying at the Ocean View Motel in Ohope Beach (my host family owns it).