Teaching in Another State

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MWMnElmed, Aug 2, 2009.

1. MWMnElmed

MWMnElmed Companion

Aug 2, 2009

I may be teaching in another state in the future and was wondering if anyone had advice regarding tips, or things to consider when teaching in another state. What are the biggest things to consider when relocating, ie. pay, retirement, certification, etc? For those who have moved to other states and taught, what do you wish you would've known before going somewhere else to teach?

3. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 2, 2009

I haven't moved states, but know of other who have.

What will become of your teacher retirement contributions you made to MO?

See what your years of retirement will cost in your new state. If you don't have many years you may be able to afford to buy those years to add to your new State's retirement system.

Contact the new State's Dept of Ed to see what you have to have for certification.

4. nothermanda

nothermanda Companion

Aug 2, 2009

If you have been fully credentialed fewer than 5 years, check the requirements very carefully. If I had waited one more year to move, my credential would have transferred directly; instead, I had to go through the residency/induction program again like I was a completely new teacher!

5. MWMnElmed

MWMnElmed Companion

Aug 2, 2009

Thank you for the advice. Does anyone know of the ability to take your teaching years with you to another state, or does it completely depend upon the state you are moving to? I've noticed not all states have private retirement programs, some states have pensions that are thrown in with all other "state" employees.