Teaching in a non-classroom setting?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by miss-m, Jan 22, 2015.

1. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jan 22, 2015

I'm not really sure where to put this since it's part job-hunting, part teaching... but also not related to classroom teaching.

Has anyone ever had a teaching job outside the conventional classroom setting?

I have an interview next week at a natural history museum near me, in their Discovery Room. It's basically a room completely dedicated to elementary aged kids and hands on science exploration. It sounds WONDERFUL, and I'm thinking this might be what I'm looking for for several reasons.
    I LOVE teaching. I love being able to share new information and help kids learn new things, and I love that lightbulb moment when something clicks and they understand it. I love learning new things myself, and I love telling other people what I've learned.
    But when I student taught... I HATED it. I hated the planning and the paperwork and the assignments. I hate grading, and I don't really love being with the same 20 kids every single day for 9 months (not that I didn't love my class, but dealing with the same issues day after day after day is EXHAUSTING.)
    Subbing is better in the sense that I get to do the part of teaching I enjoy (the actual teaching lessons part) without all the other stuff -- the politics, the planning, the busy work that comes with teaching. But it also lacks stability apart from the few regular jobs I'm requested for. I'm starting to get tired of being in a new place every day and not even knowing if I'm going to work the next day. It's lonely, and I'm desperate for the rare instances I get to go to a school I've been several times before.

So I'm thinking a museum, specifically in a room devoted to educating kids about science, would be a pretty good fit. But I'm curious if anyone here has ever done anything similar, and if so, what was your experience?

(And really mostly I'm just excited to have such a positive and quick reaction to my application -- I have a friend who recommended me and her managers emailed me back immediately, which is SUCH a nice change from all my teaching applications even if I don't end up getting/taking the job...)

3. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 22, 2015

I've only worked in the private collections area of a museum, cataloging artifacts and such. But that position sounds like a blast. I wish you best of luck.

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 22, 2015

There's a science museum near me and the people who run the educational exhibits and demonstrations look like they are having the best time on earth. Much luck to you!

5. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Jan 22, 2015

I am rather envious. The job you are describing is basically my dream job. I hope you get the job!

6. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

Jan 22, 2015

I love teaching too. And wouldn't it be fun to be the exciting field trip teacher that the students are actually interested in learning from?

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 22, 2015

Wow, this would be the job of my dreams! Of course, I am a science teacher, and this would let my enthusiasm for the subject matter shine. Wish I was where you are, but next best thing - let us know what you decide, and how this plays out.

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 23, 2015

Sounds like a wonderful opportunity!

9. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Jan 23, 2015

I think this would be fun too. But I can put up with the parts that I do not particularly enjoy because we have summers off lol. It is not the reason I am a teacher but it is definitely a major plus as I live in America but all my family and friends are in England. My wife is also a teacher so we can go back for a good amount of time in the summer.

10. physteach

physteach Companion

Jan 23, 2015

I considered switching from teaching to doing museum education, but most jobs required working weekends and would have meant taking a significant pay cut(and benefits cut).

11. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jan 23, 2015

Thanks for all the encouragement!

Since I'm currently just subbing, I have a feeling it wouldn't be too much of a pay cut, plus it'd give me something to do this summer.

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 23, 2015

Sounds like a great job opportunity! Good luck!

13. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Feb 3, 2015

Update: I got the job! I started yesterday and I LOVE it. I'm kind of wishing I could just stop subbing and be at the museum all the time for a while (except subbing pays better....). But yeah. Definitely thinking that classroom teaching is not for me, because this job is almost exactly the parts of teaching I enjoy.

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 5, 2015

Congrats!!

15. olivecoffee

olivecoffee Companion

Feb 5, 2015

Congrats, miss-m!!! I'm so happy for you and I'm SO glad you found something you love. I know you've been looking for a while for a job. Woohoo!

16. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Feb 5, 2015

This would be a good retirement job for me… or working at a library would be great too.

17. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Feb 5, 2015

congradulations, miss-m!

I'm curiuos, how long have you been subbing? and also, have you had interviews to get a job in school or did you just decide it's not for you and were happy with subbing?

I'm kind of thinking like you do, I love teaching, but don't like all the other things, but yea, the money is an attractive part of working in schools, sigh! :eek:

18. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 5, 2015

Congratulations!!

19. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Feb 5, 2015

I've been subbing since October -- just graduated last May and didn't get any interviews for full time teaching jobs. I was already unsure about teaching since my student teaching was such a negative experience, so subbing has been a good way to feel it out.
    I really enjoy subbing but it's so unstable. Sometimes I have jobs every day and sometimes I can't find a job to save my life. I still have not had a single interview for a full time position, but classrooms are starting to feel like concrete cages to me (trapped in one room with almost 30 kids for 8 hours every day? NO THANK YOU.). So teaching in a more open environment is really nice.

20. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Feb 5, 2015

Have you already started? How is it going so far? What kind of responsibilities do you have?

21. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Feb 5, 2015

Yup. I don't know about responsibilities yet (I've worked 2 days so far) but it's going pretty well. I'm back and forth between selling tickets (yuck), greeting guests and telling them a bit about the stuff in the front of the museum, and the discovery room, which is the hands-on exploration part for kids (yay). I got to hold a corn snake on Tuesday, so I'd say it's going pretty well haha.
    Since I'm just part time I doubt I'll have a *ton* of responsibilities. Mostly I was looking for a summer job and ended up starting a bit sooner than that. :)