Teaching in a Low-Income School

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Dec 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Dec 14, 2017

Exactly. They need alternatives because the current offerings aren’t working.

2. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 14, 2017

I think that many issues happen even before children enter school, unfortunately. There are some societal issues that we as a group need to address before we can even think about repairing and eventually preventing them. Blaming poor people for their poverty isn't terribly helpful in starting the conversation or getting the ball rolling on those solutions.

When it comes to charters, as we've discussed previously, that's a complex issue. Some charters intend to address that disparity, but many others do not, so that isn't a universal goal of charters. I myself have concerns about charters, but that's entirely related to their funding. I do believe that charters can be really great for some students and their families, and I like that they have that option. Where any "trashing" might happen, at least from me, is related directly to funding policies and, perhaps, to the right of charters to control their intake of students, and thus manipulate results, in a way that public schools cannot.

futuremathsprof likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.