Teaching in a Low-Income School

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Dec 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Dec 9, 2017

I thought you didn't do this for the money, the way public school teachers do?

Indiana has a very low cost of living. The pay cut wouldn't even be noticeable. You should give it a try. IPS needs you.

anon55 likes this.
  2. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Dec 9, 2017

My second reason for teaching is the money and vacations. My first reason is to teach mathematics to and to encourage students to pursue mathematical and scientific fields, especially women because they are underrepresented in certain fields.

However, I’m honest about wanting the money in addition to the intrinisic rewards for teaching. I don’t just say “I’m all about the students and ONLY the students.”

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 9, 2017

I’m a public school educator.

4. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Dec 9, 2017

Congrats. I was talkin to the prof.

5. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 9, 2017

What will he see that is different than what I wrote?

6. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 9, 2017

My point was that it doesn’t matter because simply not being a public school teacher shouldn’t make any difference.

7. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 9, 2017

Amy doesn’t think anyone should be a teacher in Indiana, so I’m not sure why she’s inviting anyone. Did I just put you in your place? I hope not because that is a very demeaning thing to say.

8. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Dec 9, 2017

Amy her namey, that's her claim to famey.

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 9, 2017

Keep it civil, friends. I adore you all and hate to see you squabble.

:atoz_love:

Personally, when I made my most recent move as a teacher, I deliberately chose a school in the poorest section of my city. Why? I want to make a difference where SOMETHING needs to change.

As of this writing, there are 167 students enrolled at my credit recovery school. The student population is 68% female (many of whom are pregnant or who already have children), 63% racial or ethnic minority. 96% of the student households are considered economically disadvantaged and 20% are considered homeless (down from 40% two years ago).

If I have my way, every one of these students will have a diploma and a plan for life after high school, and I DO have a say because of where and how I chose to teach.

Belch, AmyMyNamey, anon55 and 4 others like this.
  10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 9, 2017

I'm 45 and have ONLY taught at low-income, high-risk schools. It's what works for me.

11. futuremathsprof

Dec 9, 2017

Wow, you have homeless students... I cannot imagine that and it brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it. Thank you for this post and thank you for making a huge difference in the lives of those students! The educational system needs more teachers like you.

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  12. Belch

Belch Companion

Dec 13, 2017

What in your opinion needs to change? I ask because I'm completely the opposite of you. My students are 100% female, none (that I am aware of) are pregnant, and none that I know are economically disadvantaged. There are no minorities, and certainly none that are homeless.

It seems as if you want to go to where you are needed the most. Do you really think education is the key here?

I'd be looking at the culture that got them there, if I'm honest. Is that the problem, in your estimation?

13. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Dec 13, 2017

Not the culture. More a system of government corrupted by runaway capitalism.

Ms.Holyoke and anon55 like this.
  14. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Dec 13, 2017

It's an interesting dichotomy that takes place in these types of schools (I taught in one). As educated people, we oftentimes want to fix what we perceive to be as broken. OTOH, I'm not sure the students themselves perceive things as "broken" per se...it is their normal. We are preachers preaching of a better life that we know exists...unfortunately, it sounds like a fairy tale to most. But you keep spreading the good news, because if you reach just a handful of them, you have made a difference. But I think you are right, most of us seem to be trapped into the same type of circumstances that we are born in.

anon55 likes this.
  15. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Dec 13, 2017

What exactly are you trying to say here?

16. Belch

Belch Companion

Dec 13, 2017

I'm trying to say that we are merely teachers. We can't be asked to do things that we have no control over. If it is culture that is creating pregnant and homeless and economically disadvantaged students, then we can't be asked to change that.

We do what we can with what we are given. I'm lucky because I don't have any of these problems, but I do know that I can only do what I can do. I work with what I have, and that's that.

I know that there are problems outside of my classroom, but I can't change that. So why worry about what I can't change?

17. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 13, 2017

Not upset, just correcting your mistake. Admittedly I do enjoy correcting others.

18. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 13, 2017

What is runaway capitalism?

19. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 13, 2017

Belch is in Japan.

20. Belch

Belch Companion

Dec 13, 2017

Yes, but does that change anything? I still have students and a classroom and all of the problems that teachers are supposed to be responsible for.

I might be in Japan, but what does that matter?

In fact, bringing up that I am in Japan tells me that my question concerning culture might be spot on.

21. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 13, 2017

Because it provides context for your differing point given your homogeneous environment.

22. Belch

Belch Companion

Dec 13, 2017

But that context is culture, as I pointed out earlier. The actual dirt is just dirt. The difference between my dirt and yours is culture.

23. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Dec 13, 2017

AlwaysAttend is simply more specifically helping other readers understand your culture. Believe it or not, many countries have expectations based on some national generalities. Our beliefs, whether we consider them right or wrong, are often based on our national and culturual beliefs.

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  24. Belch

Belch Companion

Dec 14, 2017

Actually, there is almost no social welfare system here. There is a bit, but it's nothing worth writing home about. No guns on the streets, but I don't think that has anything to do with the basic culture.

Here, it has to do with a basic human quality. Are we not all the same?

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  25. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 14, 2017

I’m not going refer to children as dirt.

26. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 14, 2017

Don’t senior citizens wander into a forest to commit suicide rather than being a burden to their family or society? Don’t they have a massive problem with mental healthcare based on societal bias? Sounds like a wonderful social safety net.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  27. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 14, 2017

I don’t drink tea, or coffee for that matter. I would think anyone who needs to use something else to regulate themselves probably has deeper issues.

I have a problem with your limited depth of knowledge being presented as fact. Like your comments about Japan above. Perhaps you could study a college course or two if you’d like to speak accurately about international affairs. If you are looking for a suggestion, I’d start with something focused on Southeast Asia. Very interesting historical events and policies that have shaped the culture of these countries today.

Great Leap Forward in China was very interesting. I’d start there personally and there was an excellent Chinese language film that won an Oscar for best foreign language film like 6-12 years ago I think.

28. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Dec 14, 2017

Being economically disadvantaged or homeless is not cultural factor and says more about how our society does not support the poor. Many of the problems low-income students face is due to the lack of opportunity they are given in school, including resources, good teachers, course selection and more. The American public school system is not equal for all students. Research the opportunity gap for more information.

Teachers are the most important school based factor in determining student achievement. Even if we can't change the world, good teachers do make a positive impact on students.

29. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 14, 2017

:thumbs:

These problems are conditions, not culture.

Ms.Holyoke and anon55 like this.
  30. futuremathsprof

Dec 14, 2017

What are you talking about? Our society helps the poor a lot already. Medicare, Social Security, a free public education, subsidized housing, food stamps, and almost free college or free college are just some of the many things that poor people are given.

31. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Dec 14, 2017

Have you ever observed in or taught in a low-income school? Like I suggested, you should spend some time researching the opportunity gap.

Caesar753 likes this.
  32. futuremathsprof

Dec 14, 2017

The definition of culture, according to Merriam-Webster, is: the customary beliefs, social forms, and material traits of a racial, religious, or social group; also : the characteristic features of everyday existence (such as diversions or a way of life) shared by people in a place or time.

So if a particular group of people does not value education, believe in learning how to speak and write a language properly, and/or continually live in squalor, then that IS their culture, by definition.

QED

33. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Dec 14, 2017

What group of people are you referring to? What does it mean to speak a language properly?

34. futuremathsprof

Dec 14, 2017

Any group of people, not any one group particularly. What do you think it means to speak a language properly?

35. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Dec 14, 2017

There are many different ways to speak a language "properly." Standard English is the most accepted form of English in society today but that does not make it better than other forms of English.

Since you were not referring to a particular group of people, I'm unsure as to why you brought up these characteristics.

Caesar753 likes this.
  36. futuremathsprof

Dec 14, 2017

I did because it was a stated that these were conditions and not culture. I just wanted to show to the contrary. All the aspects of low-performing students are ingrained in their culture, by definition.

For example, students saying things like “that’s lit” and “that’s dope,” or “Who do you think you is?” My favorite is when they say “I’ve tooken.” When I hear students speak Illiteracy it makes my ears cringe. I mean, “tooken?” Seriously?!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  37. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 14, 2017

Does regulate have a different meaning to you? That is the only way I could see an explanation on the caffeine level of tea being a response.

38. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 14, 2017

I agree with Ms.Holyoke that certain systemic issues are certainly at play in schools we need to do more to address. With opportunity, the reason AP and honors level classes have such low minority representation is due to decisions/failures as early as elementary school.

That’s why I get so disappointed when people trash Charter Schools that are working hard to correct this injustice.

Backroads and futuremathsprof like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.