Teaching in a catholic school

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by smpeterson77, Aug 5, 2013.

1. smpeterson77

smpeterson77 Rookie

Aug 5, 2013

I just had an interview for a Pre-k position in a Catholic School. I have never taught in a parochial school before, and am wondering if anyone on here has? Is there anything I would need to know about teaching in a catholic school? My experience is primarily with the Goddard School system.
    Thanks!

3. mandamouse123

mandamouse123 Rookie

Aug 5, 2013

I student taught in Catholic schools, Kindergarten and First grade. My general experience was that the students were very well behaved, and that there was very little play or even cooperative work. In my schools, It was mostly teacher instruction or independent work. Of course, that MIGHT change with pre-k. There was also a very low teacher to student ratio. I would also expect them to be by the book with regulations, i.e., no being over ratio, or going without the mandated shade in the summer months.

Also, if you aren't familiar with Catholic prayers, start working on that. Angel of God, Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory Be, Good Morning Dear Jesus, and Bless Us Oh Lord were said daily by my K kids. There were more for the first graders, who said the rosary every morning.

4. smpeterson77

smpeterson77 Rookie

Aug 6, 2013

Thanks so much! I don't know a few of those prayers, so I will starting working on that!

5. CreativeTeachR

CreativeTeachR Companion

Aug 8, 2013

Some are like cults! I worked in one last year and got let go because they found out I am married to another women!

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2013

That's not a cult..it's the religion's doctrine. You may not believe in it (and as a Catholic I have my own opposition to this and other teachings), but it IS what the church believes and as a teacher in a Catholic school, one is expected to uphold that doctrine.:sorry:

7. tgtbtj

tgtbtj Companion

Aug 11, 2013

I work at a catholic school now and I would never want to work anywhere else! The class sizes are wonderfully small and since it's a private school the parents are much more involved and overall care much more about their child's education. There are other teacher at our school that aren't catholic and they have other teachers teach religion for them. There are also many more extracurricular activities that are allowed because it is a private school. There is more money for activities and parties. I loooooove teaching at a private school, coming from doing my internship at a public school, I would never go back again. There is also much more independence at a catholic school. I am able to implement the curriculum the way I think I should and I can actually get creative with it. The school is small so everyone knows each other, and the best part NO STANDARDIZED TESTS! I can go on and on about how wonderful it is. I'm so blessed to be working here! Any other questions feel free to send me a direct message!

8. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013

I didn't teach in one, but I did attend one in elementary school. We had Mass during school every once in awhile, so you may want to familiarize yourself with it (when to kneel, the Nicene Creed, what to do if you don't receive Communion, etc).

You may also be required to teach a daily or weekly religion class, so if you get the job, see if there's already a curriculum or if there's another teacher who can help you out with it.

9. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 11, 2013

I teach at a Catholic school, and I'm not Catholic. I love the school, our students, parents, and fellow teachers. Our school has a positive *can do* attitude.

We have Mass every week (a few times a year twice in a week.) Because I'm not Catholic, I can't teach religion, so I switch with another teacher -- she teaches my religion class, while I go to her room and teach her science class. It works well for us.

I came to this Catholic school after 9 years teaching in the inner city. Our school is rural. Talk about night and day . . .

10. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 11, 2013

I taught in a Catholic school for 13 years. Loved it. I wouldn't have left if they had offered me a contract this year. I'm not Catholic, so someone else taught my religion while I taught their class. As for learning the prayers and parts of the mass, I just followed along until I picked it up.

Preschool, though, didn't go to weekly mass with us anyway.