Teaching in a 1-to-1 classroom

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by husker_blitz, Dec 30, 2013.

1. husker_blitz

husker_blitz Companion

Dec 30, 2013

Later next month we are to pilot one of our middle school classes for our move to a 1-to-1 school. (meaning one computer for every student...not sure what all other terms are used for it).

What are some things you do in your classroom in a 1-to-1 setup? How do you incorporate technology on this scale in your classes? Any advice or pointers would be extremely welcomed.

3. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Dec 31, 2013

I LOVE teaching in a 1:1 school.

I post my bellwork via digital projector. The first line of the bell work indicates if students need their laptops for the class period, or not.

I can't use laptops from minute 1 of class. It takes about 10 minutes for students to get laptops started, logged in, etc. This doesn't mean students are wasting time. The bellwork never requires the laptop, they learn to look if they should be turning on the laptop when they walk in. They work while the laptop starts. If a student has used his laptop and already has it on, it only takes a few seconds for his laptop to be ready. If my class is the first time a student has turned his laptop on for the day, it takes sometimes up to 10 minutes for the laptop to be ready.

Be flexible. Things won't always work. They often do. But, don't let tech problems (across the entire class, for a few students, for only 1 student) throw you off your game.

My favorite tool is Canvas. It is a course management system. There is a free and paid version. I use it for almost all assignments. http://www.instructure.com/ It also has a lot of built in apps (e.g. digital flashcards). It is similar to Blackboard or Angel (you might have used those in college?)

I have 4 of these in my room. Lifesavers. http://www.homedepot.com/p/KAB-Ente...=100661463&ci_kw=&ci_gpa=pla&ci_src=17588969#

Things your school needs to figure out school-wide:
    - printing policies and printing routines
    - dealing with tech issues

Passwords are a problem for students to remember ... there are tools (e.g. passkey) that students can use for password storage.

Students may need to learn that laptops don't start up, don't charge, don't "behave" like their cell phones.

Don't be surprised by crummy attitudes from students about their laptops. One hang up or one error and for some students "these laptops are stupid." You can prevent a LOT of the crummy attitudes by never showing frustration over tech problems. Model patience and flexibility for them.

Have fun! I love teaching in a 1:1 school!

4. CK-12Foundation

CK-12Foundation New Member

Jan 2, 2014

Congrats! 1:1 classrooms are awesome for both the teacher and the student.

There are tons of websites and apps out there that will help make your life easier including content, project-based, interactive, grading, collaboration, tutoring, etc. Spend some time browsing around.

You might also start the new 1:1 initiative by surveying your students. They are really comfortable with technology and might have some insight into how they'd like to use the new computers for school. Flip your classroom and let your students do the heavy lifting.