Teaching in 2 separate classrooms

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by No name, Jun 9, 2021 at 2:51 AM.

1. No name

No name New Member

Jun 9, 2021 at 2:51 AM

I work with severe medically fragile students. I have a small classroom that can fit 5 students max. I have 7 students, so the principal gave me a separate room next door to put the overflow of students in. My concern is that I cannot see what is going on in 2 separate classrooms, in case of an emergency. I will have aides and nurses in both classes, but as the teacher, I am liable if anything happens. Has anyone experienced this problem? If so, what was done? Thank you so much for any tips.

vickilyn likes this.
  3. Richard_Smoot

Richard_Smoot New Member

Jun 9, 2021 at 6:57 AM

Hi, you mentioned that you can be provided with assistants who, in case of anything, can tell you what is happening in the next class, for example, by phone if the classes are at a great distance from each other. It may also be worth considering an option with surveillance cameras and TVs for displaying images in both classrooms if it does not cost the school.

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 9, 2021 at 1:41 PM

You need to reach out to your states DOE and find out what the state statutes say about such situations. I can understand that your employer is trying to give you the amount of space that you need, and the state may say that what is offered is sufficient as long as a qualified aide/nurse is in whatever room that you are not present in. Perhaps less than ideal, but the best possible solution given space restraints. I can guarantee that someone within the DOE will know how to find this answer. Start by finding out what the statutes say, and go from there. Best of luck.

a2z likes this.
  5. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2021 at 10:51 PM

It's been proposed in my building but has never actually happened. Miraculously, every time our self-contained program has been on the brink of being "too full" for the room, a student moves or someone who was supposed to come doesn't. I know for other situations, my building uses a walkie talkie system. So if something were going down in the next room, they could radio you so you could get there immediately.

I will say, our students are sometimes just with paras as well. The only way for the teacher in the classroom to get a lunch is for paras to cover for 30 minutes, and sometimes behavior causes the need for a room clear. In that case, the teacher is with the student melting down in the classroom and the paras are outside of the room with the other students. Paras also accompany students to gen ed classrooms for inclusion times- when they get there, obviously the gen ed teacher is there, but there is the travel time in between.

If you're nervous about it, I would email your sped director so that if god forbid something does happen, you have documentation in writing that you brought it up beforehand. I would phrase it like you did here so it doesn't look like you're throwing your P under the bus- explain that you're so grateful your P is providing the extra space, but you want to make sure it's legal for students to be in the room without your supervision.