Teaching Humility

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Tealsmith, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Tealsmith

Tealsmith Rookie

Dec 11, 2008

I've got a 7th grader who is driving me and the other students a little crazy. He is an A student, who constantly brags about himself. (His grades, his intellignce, his 7 years of perfect attendance) I've mentioned the need to be humble but it doesn't sink in. His mother is about half a bubble off plumb so I don't dare bring her into it. Any tips or techniques for teaching humility?:help:

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 11, 2008

The School of Hard Knocks comes to mind... But we can perhaps be a bit kinder. What do you teach?

4. Tealsmith

Tealsmith Rookie

Dec 11, 2008

Social Studies. I know that life will eventually knock the juice out of this kid. He'll be lucky if somebody doesn't do it first. It is just hard to listen to.

5. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Dec 11, 2008

:lol::lol::lol:

If a 7th grader is bragging too much, it smells like insecurity to me. While your instinct might be to knock him down a few pegs, this might be exactly the wrong thing to do.

You could do exercises exploring themes regarding imperfections, depending what you teach. If you're a math teacher, this is going to be rather difficult...

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 11, 2008

Social studies? Ooooo, very promising... what is it that the class is covering?

(I too quite like "half a bubble off plumb"...)

7. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Dec 11, 2008

I had a kid like that too, he always would ask for compliments on his work. It drove me crazy! I had a talk with him and explained that his work was often good, but other kids needed the attention too. He seemed to get the message.