Teaching history with 1 blind student - ideas/advice?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Rockguykev, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2012

This upcoming year I will have a blind students in one of my world history classes. This is particularly challenging since I've spent the last nine years making my class as visual as possible due to my high percentage of EL students. My lessons are all heavily visual on both the input and output side of things.

I'm not particularly concerned about the input since the student is very quick on the pick up when listening and will have most materials available in Braille. It is the output I'm stumbling on. I could very easily just assign her to answer the questions in the book for each section but there's no way I'm ok with that.

I'm looking for some generic writing tasks that could apply to multiple topics in history, so far I have:

Diary entries, personal letters, top 10 lists, and dialogues. If anyone has any other ideas (and especially experience with such a situation) any help would be most appreciated.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2012

Talk to last year's teacher. And, if possible, to the student herself.

You're new to havign a blind student, but the student isn't new to it at all. I bet that, over the years, she's developed lots of strategies for coping with assignments like the ones you give.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2012

Do you have experience with RAFTs? I love these as writing prompts and you can vary them as much as needed.

5. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2012

I have spoken to the teacher and the student. The one area where there is no coping is when the output needs to be a drawing or visual representation other than words.

I'll look into RAFTs, this is the first I've heard of it. Thanks!

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 16, 2012

What if she does audio? A montage of sound clips, instead of video?

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2012

I love RAFTS. Not everyone includes the S, but I do for "Strong Verb". Just a note. :)

Depending on the student's experiences, he or she may still be able to create things such as models and such.

8. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 16, 2012

Questions like this make me wonder whatever happened to blindteacher...

9. Lotte

Lotte Companion

Jul 16, 2012

- How about creating touchable scenes from important historical happenings, like f.i. using toy soldiers, and other tactile props?

- Puppet shows of famous dialogues? If the puppets consist of different material, he/she should easily be able to distinguish them.

- Use dramatic play? for student participation

- I know that here, you can get curriculum on CDs.. Each student book can be bought like a CD as well.. Worth checking out?

- Can you get a hold of one of those globes where you can actually feel where the mountians are etc. Could be good for "internal visualisation" of where things took place.

10. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 16, 2012

Could she put together an "album" related to your topic? Explain how the songs relate? Podcast? Just as a break from the writing.

11. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 16, 2012

My first thought was RAFTS.

12. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2012

A Wordle might be great as well, especially for times that you are looking for something drawn.