Teaching high school & community college: good times or recipe for disaster?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by learn2forget, Nov 24, 2010.

1. learn2forget

learn2forget New Member

Nov 24, 2010

I'd like to hear from anyone who teaches high school and college concurrently. Does the administration at one treat you better than the other? Which gives you more satisfaction in teaching? Are the requirements to teach at the institutions the same? Do you work part time for both or just one? Do both of these jobs take up all of your time & energy? How's the pay?? Thanks, I really appreciate the help :)

3. CaliforniaGold

CaliforniaGold Rookie

Nov 28, 2010

I don't think either of them relate to each other at all. I used to teach a cc, but now I sub. The age groups are different, high school kids are just that, and cc students are mostly adults and have a choice of going to school or not.

The administration at cc are not as personal as they are in at the high school level. Adjuncts are not treated that well, most make about 40-50 bucks an hour, but you only teach up to 9 hours a week for one class. Most adjuncts start of with 1 or 2 classes a semester for several semesters. Requirements are totally different. You need to be credentialed to teach high school students. All jobs take energy. It is up to you if you want to commit yourself to teach. The cc jobs are few.

4. fratermus

fratermus Companion

Nov 29, 2010

Dual Credit positions relate to each other; I think it's common to have to hold a JuCo adjunct position (on paper) in order to teach the college course in HS.

I've taught adult education courses at CCs if that's any use to you; it was more like what I thought teaching would be. Very little classroom management needed, exploring content with students who wanted what you had. Hands off from administration; they were interested in filling seats.

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Nov 29, 2010

I teach HS juniors and seniors in a typical high school setting. Three of my seven sections are concurrent credit. That means I have high school seniors that are enrolled through a local community college but take their classes with me during their high school day.

In the fall, I teach English Comp I and General Psychology. In the spring, I teach General Literature and Developmental Psychology. I have 2 sections of the English classes.

The only hiccup is matching the state regents high school standards with the college class objectives. I have to add in some assignments that don't count for the college class, but count towards the high school credit.

I get paid as an adjunct on top of my teacher's salary. My adjunct pay depends on the number of hours I teach a semester (typically 6).

My hs admin is VERY supportive as they know the benefits to our students (if our students take all of the concurrent credit offerings, they can complete their freshmen year of college during high school ... at a much reduced rate from the community college).

The college admin have high expectations and expect our classrooms to look like college settings during the hours we are teaching high school credit.

I love it.

The classes are composed of the best and brightest students that are pushing themselves, so it is always a great group of students.