Teaching high school and preschool?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Taylor M, May 8, 2020.

1. Taylor M

Taylor M New Member

May 8, 2020

Hi everyone! I'm currently a sophomore in college and I have no idea if I'm in the right place to be asking this so I'm sorry if I'm not!

Anyways, I'm planning on becoming a teacher and I'm currently studying early childhood education. At my old high school, we had a preschool program that the high school students were a part of and it was a graded course for them - they learned how to run the classroom, got assigned lessons, and my teacher would teach a prerequisite child development course before they could take the class (she also had a FACS course to teach). It's what made me love teaching and being around younger kids.

My question for current teachers is, is this a common program at many high schools? I would love to eventually be able to teach both high school and preschool like this, it seems like such a dream to me, but I'm not sure if it's very uncommon.

Thank you!

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

May 8, 2020

I've taught in the three states. I've never seen a problem like that. I would think it would be extremely hard to find a position like that, and I certainly wouldn't plan my career around it.

4. Taylor M

Taylor M New Member

May 8, 2020

That's what I was a little afraid of, I know of a few high schools around my hometown that have programs like these, but it seems like there wouldn't be many of these positions available. Thanks!

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

May 9, 2020

I am familiar with the program you are talking about, here in NJ, but don't actually know how common it is throughout the state. I would agree with RainStorm that it might be very difficult to find such a position. Can you imagine a more traditional teaching situation that at least gets you a job in the state/district you are most interested in?

6. Taylor M

Taylor M New Member

May 9, 2020

Yes, definitely! I’m majoring in early childhood ed so I can 100% see myself teaching anywhere from preschool-3rd grade, can’t imagine myself working in an environment without young kids. I just loved my experiences working with older kids too so it would be the best of both worlds for me to teach child development at a high school level.

7. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

May 9, 2020

We had something like this at my school, but that was about 20 years ago. The high school in my district does not offer such a program.

8. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

May 9, 2020

The high school I worked at before my current school (middle school) had these classes. It was pretty neat because it was a small district with only one high school so when the students graduated high school they would have pictures of them as preschoolers when they came through the program.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 9, 2020

We used to have two similar programs here, but both have lost funding over the years.

One was a regular day care that was run by the high school. Students ran it as a class. We had it for many years.

The other was a different program. It was part of the adult-education program. It was for teen/early 20's parents who had dropped out and were working on their GED. They brought their babies, and they provided free childcare while the parent attended classes. I taught English there.

10. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

May 14, 2020

Both the high school I went to and the district I'm teaching in has that program.
    Same state but a few hours apart.
    Both high schools have the preschool program inside the high school so the students don't have to leave campus to do it