Teaching Handwriting

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Grammy Teacher, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 6, 2006

Well, the school is doing it again...teaching the Pre-K kids to write their names in all caps. I teach Pre-k in a private facility and we have always taught the kids to begin with a capital letter , followed by lower case...and GUESS WHAT?! They were able to do it!!! For some reason the public school's Pre-k changed the way they teach writing and now I have some confused kids who are attending their program and mine(half day.)

3. dcnuck

dcnuck Companion

Sep 6, 2006

I know exactly where you are coming from. They want to baby them with handwriting and at the same time don't want them to be kids. It is very annoying. These kids are perfectly capable of writing with lowercase and upper case letters the correct way. It is totally senseless to teach a child all caps and then you have to reteach it. Why waste all of that time when you can just teach them right the first time? I don't have any suggestions but I hear you. I teach my pre K the correct way. I just hope they don't force handwriting without tears down our throat along with all of the testing that they are requiring.

4. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 6, 2006

Exactly! You get the picture and see it just as I do. Man they make me mad!

5. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Sep 7, 2006

Not to sound rude, but I actually like Handwriting w/out Tears. I used it when I taught pre-k and think it's a great way of teaching handwriting b/c children it gives them more of a sense of how the letters are formed (thru big lines, little lines, curves), but I also have seen other methods of teaching handwriting that are just as good.

6. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 7, 2006

Maithal, the only thing I don't like about HWT is how they are teaching them to write their names in all capitals. The children in my class are Pre-K and I teach them to start with a capital letter, followed by lowercase. They can all do it, but when they go to the public school, they get confused because they teach them the other way. For years, the big gripe teachers had was when parents taught their kids to only write their names using all caps...and now the teachers are doing the very same thing. That is just stupid.

7. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Sep 7, 2006

I used HWT to teach lowercase. I agree teaching children to use just uppercase isn't ideal.

8. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 7, 2006

Do you think I should talk to the teacher about this???

9. quilljar

quilljar New Member

Sep 14, 2006

Joining up in pre K

I so agree with those who are advocating teaching the youngest children minuscules (lower case refers to the print in books not handwriting) and not capitals from the start. In the Uk many of us have been teaching joined up handwriting from the beginning too. Any system that means children having to unlearn physical movements such as handwriting is poor educational practice.
    Please have a look at some helpful tips on this by googling '12 rules for teaching handwriting'.

There is also a useful free font for making your own copysheets at the child's level. We have been teaching like this successfully for 30 years.

regards
    Christopher Jarman

10. sbtellmann

sbtellmann Companion

Sep 14, 2006

I would LOVE it if the PreK teachers taught using lower case! It would make my life a whole lot easier! It seems if you're going to teach letters, you might as well teach lower case... even if it's just their name! :)