Teaching Gifted Students

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Bloom, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Bloom

Bloom Companion

Jul 20, 2009

Anyone currently teaching gifted students? I have recently applied to an academy for gifted students and am interested an any suggestions or sites to visit to prepare myself in case I land an interview.

3. Bloom

Bloom Companion

Jul 20, 2009

Not a good sign when I can't even correctly type the post....."I am interested IN any suggestions!"

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 20, 2009

5. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Jul 20, 2009

I'm working on my MA in gifted ed right now. I agree with Kinder on hoagies - an awesome site and a great place to start. What grade would you be teaching?

6. Bloom

Bloom Companion

Jul 20, 2009

This is a fourth grade position...

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 20, 2009

I teach a fourth grade advanced class that has a concentration of gifted students. I would discuss enrichment opportunities I would offer my students and how I would make my instruction hands-on in various subjects. Additionally, I would discuss reader's and writer's workshop, reading skills, Fountas and Pinnell, and exciting test prep.

8. LynnB

LynnB Rookie

Jul 20, 2009

I am in the same situation. I got a call this morning about a gifted position for 7/8 graders. I have taught secondary English the last 7 years (and I'm overloaded with that job so I am considering another one). My problem is that I got my gifted certification over two years ago and I can't remember a lot about it. I do remember the instructor suggesting that we teach in thematic units and include several subject areas in every unit. The school system that called this morning doesn't have any specific curriculum to follow, so I feel a little lost as to how I might begin.

9. LynnB

LynnB Rookie

Jul 20, 2009

I thought Fountas and Pinnell books were for struggling readers. Do they have books for gifted students, too, or am I mistaken about the books?

10. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 20, 2009