teaching german

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by teacherinpa, Jul 9, 2006.

1. teacherinpa

teacherinpa New Member

Jul 9, 2006

Having terrible luck finding a position. Any ideas would be greatly apppreciated.

Thanks!

3. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2006

What have you done so far???
    Check out websites for current openings and application requirements.
    Send cover letter and resume to each school--or hand deliver.
    Contact them again to inquire on the status of your application (district office).

Good luck.
    :)

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2006

Have you checked out Middle School and High Schools? I don't know too much about PA, but I would recommend getting a list of all the schools, find the ones that interest you and apply ASAP.

How much experience do you have? Tutoring might be someithing to consider...... look into tutoring agencies like Sylvan. Have you thought about homebound instruction?

5. teacherinpa

teacherinpa New Member

Jul 10, 2006

Thanks for your responses.

I have called and send applications, cover letters, resumes, etc to all middle and high schools within a 1 hour radius from Philadelphia (and some even beyond that). I have found only one school that even has a position open. I am still awaiting a response from that school. I have no experience--just subbing--I am a recent graduate (I have a MSEd). I need to live in this area, as my wife teaches here.

I have an undergraduate degree from a prestigious university in German and International Relations and I am fluent, as I studied abroad for a year and had an internship in the Parliament as well.

I am noticing more and more that districts in PA are asking for duel certification in languages--German/Spanish, Spanish/French, etc. I think that I understand why they are doing this, but this makes things difficult on my end. I have studied German in depth, but it seems like schools would prefer that one has a little knowledge (enough to pass a praxis) in a few languages.

Any foreign language teachers out there with suggestions? I am getting very frustrated. I have spent a lot of money on these degrees!