teaching French to 1-3 graders???

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by Riv, May 25, 2017.

1. Riv

Riv Rookie

May 25, 2017

Hi everyone,
    I will soon begin my teacher observation (in French) and eventually move into teaching the class as an internship. I have lots of experience teaching adults but NONE with children. Any pointers you can give on how to teach 1-3 graders in foreign language (French)? I realize now I can't take all the liberties I once did with adults as far as movies and articles...this must be much more simple but I am not sure where to turn for ideas on lesson plans.

Thanks!

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 25, 2017

Not a French teacher, but I worked in a French Immersion school for a long time. Think basics--colours, numbers, greetings, weather, calendar.

CherryOak likes this.
  4. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

May 25, 2017

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 25, 2017

"Guilty" as charged!

Riv, Leaborb192 and CherryOak like this.
  6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 25, 2017

I agree - I don't teach in French Immersion, so we do intro to basic French in grades 1-3. We call it "exposure to French". I keep it super simple - when my grade 1s were lining up, I counted them in French. We stuck to colours, numbers, days of the week, some clothing items. Lots of gesturing and pointing.

When I taught grade 6 basic French, the first 10 minutes of every class were oral. I would start with a basic phrase like "Je porte une chemise" while pointing to my shirt. Then I would point to another student's shirt and say, "Il port une chemise." Then I would ask a student - "Est-ce que tu portes une chemise?" And they would have to answer in French - I would script for them and they would have to repeat after me. But there was absolutely no English for the first 10 minutes. That was recommended by a French language coordinator for our French school system. I imagine something similar would work with grades 1-3.

CherryOak likes this.
  7. CherryOak

CherryOak Companion

May 25, 2017

What they said! At that level, the gen ed curriculum could also provide a lot of inspiration and echoing it could help support it, too. For example, I bet they have familiar games in their centers and rotations practicing math facts. Seek out some in house examples. Some of them may be great for number practice with slight modifications.

8. Riv

Riv Rookie

May 26, 2017

je me demandais la meme chose! I was wondering the same thing!
    I miss Canada, hope to be on that side of the border one day!

9. Riv

Riv Rookie

May 26, 2017

Thank you all for your input. This has given me lots to think about and I am sure I will be back once my observations begin.