Teaching Foundation Exam

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by necodaak8, Dec 23, 2007.

1. necodaak8

necodaak8 Rookie

Dec 23, 2007

Has anyone ever heard of this test? I am applying for an internship credential program, where they basically pay me to get my credential. Well the program is 2 years, but they said I can shorten it to 1 year if I pass this test. I asked the program (project pipeline) and they said they do not know of any study material for this test. Anyone have any information about this test. Thank you!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 24, 2007

The TFEs are Praxis II exams. There's one for multiple subjects and one each for the core secondary subjects (science, math, English, social science - though, if memory serves, a passing score may not yet have been set for the social science TFE because not enough people have taken it.

Chances are there's not a purpose-made test prep book specifically for the TFE you want to take, but the Internet's a fine resource.

It's likely that California offers the TFE option primarily for people who have already been teaching but not in a credential context. Some of the A to Z members who've been in internship programs might be able to give you a better idea of whether and how it makes sense to try to shorten the internship.

4. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Dec 24, 2007

From the CTC's FAQ on internships:

"Currently, there are no specific published study materials available. You may view the Test at a Glance by going to the ETS website.

Another possibility would be to determine what pedagogical texts are used by the teacher preparation program that interests you. These books should be available at the university program's bookstore or library."

So, you are going to have to roll your own. Maybe someone who has taken the test will chime in here on how to do it. Which version are you considering taking?

Looking at the test description for math on the ETS site, I'd say the tests basically cover all the material you might encounter in the pedagogical courses in a traditional credential program or an internship program, including things like content specific pedagogy, teaching English learners, teaching reading across content areas, differentiation, etc.

I wonder how many actually pass this exam. For math, only 1/3 of the raw points come from the MC section, and 2/3 from the two constructed response questions. Are the other versions like this? Considering the session is 4 hours long, it seems they expect you to spend about an hour answering each of the CR questions.

5. necodaak8

necodaak8 Rookie

Dec 25, 2007

I would be taking the Biology test. Hopefully someone who has taken it can chime in. Thank you for your help.

6. texastumbleweed

texastumbleweed New Member

Feb 10, 2008

this is my first time on here soooo here i go! i just took the ec-4 ppr test today and scored 54 out of 80....is there a chance at all that i might have passed? someone told me that you have to score between 53 and 57 to pass, is there any truth to this? please help me, im anxious to know!

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 10, 2008

Welcome to A to Z, texastumbleweed.

As to whether you passed, it's hard to say, though probably not out of the question.

8. texastumbleweed

texastumbleweed New Member

Feb 11, 2008

thank you

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 11, 2008

I can't remember my exact score and what it translated to, but I'm sure you passed.

What part of TX are you in? Lots of Texans on this thread.

10. jiyunk

jiyunk Rookie

Feb 15, 2008

Did anyone ever find out how to study for this exam? I am also thinking of taking it but don't know how if there aren't any study guides! :confused:

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 15, 2008

Oooooops: the thread got a little hijacked, didn't it?

In which area are you testing? There are TF exams in multiple subjects, English, science, math, and social science.

12. jiyunk

jiyunk Rookie

Feb 15, 2008

English

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 15, 2008

Here are some ideas...

I did kind of a core dump of English teacher Web sites at http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?p=565604#post565604. You could browse them for sites that are heavy on the pedagogy - unlike most of the rest of the teacher tests that get given in California, the TFEs really are about teaching. (The idea isn't to study all of them intensively but to look for one or two that will prop you up for now.)

If you haven't already downloaded the free Tests at a Glance document (http://www.ets.org/Media/Tests/PRAXIS/pdf/0048.pdf), I'd recommend doing so; you could look through the list of topics covered and the questions, and if there's anything that looks reasonably like a teachers' professional term that you don't know cold, look it up on the Internet. You might also want to have a look at the Content Standards documents for English-language arts and for English language development; those are on the Web site of the California Department of Education (view in html format at http://www.cde.ca.gov/be/st/ss/ or download the pdfs at http://www.cde.ca.gov/re/pn/fd).

If you're anywhere near a university with a teacher education program, you could go browse the bookstore for textbooks on teaching English: choose something that's comfortable to work with and that seems to fill gaps in your knowledge.

14. jiyunk

jiyunk Rookie

Feb 15, 2008

Thanks...I've downloaded the CA Dept of Education materials and the tests at a glance...haven't checked the university bookstore yet, will do that!

Thanks for the quick response!

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 15, 2008

So when are you taking this thing?

16. jiyunk

jiyunk Rookie

Feb 18, 2008

Well there is one in March and one in June. I'll probably take the one in June, take the training in July, and start teaching in September. My only real concern is saving money for the 6 weeks of unpaid training.

17. Razorback

Razorback Rookie

Feb 29, 2008

So did you pass

Did you pass the PPR test?

18. Razorback

Razorback Rookie

Feb 29, 2008

what did you study?

What PPR did you take? 160 EC-12? What did you study and what helped the most? Are the laws good to know for this test?

Thanks in advance

19. appleyogi

appleyogi Rookie

Dec 12, 2008

Hi there -

I taught several years in private school. then became an LAUSD intern - I left after 1 year and that was 5 years ago. with LAUSD I had 6th,7th & 8th grades and nearly 200 students, 4 subjects.

I am looking at returning to finish my credential, but it's an incredible hassle. I found that although I was an intern for one year - CSUN reported it as two and there is zero I can do to change this. thus, I need to complete my credential in one year as well. since i am older - i do have to work concurrently. I am also looking at the TF exam and curious about study materials. In terms of pedagogy - so much changes so rapidly - can anyone on here who is currently in a teaching credential program advise as to whom is being studied these days?
    I took the mini sample exam with no problems on the cts site, but I know much of the Ca State standards have changed things as have certain new pedagogues, no? would love input. additionally I am taking single subject -English. I hope to also do multiple at some point.

Thank you

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 12, 2008

The Teaching Foundations exam is a Praxis exam, which means it's given nationally, which means it still has to work for other states, too. Unless the Praxis Web site gives you reason to believe it's been changed recently, it hasn't: what you learned about pedagogy five years ago should still stand you in good stead.

There's a fairly astonishing amount about pedagogy on one of my very favorite study tools, Answers.com (http://www.answers.com: I just peeked at it). You might find it helpful to burrow around there and follow up the links, thinking as you go about how the various terms could label things you've done in the course of your not-inconsiderable experience in teaching and life.

Come to think of it, you might also want to have a look at one or another of Lynn Diaz-Rico's books for the CTEL and the now-extinct CLAD exams: the pedagogical questions there are focused on English language learners, to be sure, but Diaz-Rico & Weed's Cultural, Linguistic and Academic Diversity Handbook, 3d edition, comes HIGHLY recommended by a veteran teacher who had to take CTEL after some years' absence from the classroom. Diaz-Rico's more recent effort is A Course for Teaching English Learners, not coincidentally sharing its initials with the CTEL that inspired it, though I haven't heard if it's as good.

21. bborya

bborya New Member

Feb 27, 2010

Any additional links for the math foundations exam (0068)? I downloaded standards (Thanks TeacherGroupie!) quite a read. Wish they had some examples of graded written sections or even a little more info on the ETS site. Does anyone know if new material been published since the last posts?

22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 27, 2010

By golly, there AREN'T graded sections in the Tests at a Glance doc for 0068 - what an odd gap, given that the non-TFE exams with written components all do contain samples.

That being the case, try this one: http://www.ets.org/Media/Tests/PRAXIS/pdf/0065.pdf. The scoring scale might be a bit different, but chances are that the process is pretty much the same.