Teaching First Grade vs. Kindergarten

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by FootballGal, Jun 19, 2008.

1. FootballGal

FootballGal Companion

Jun 19, 2008

I have not began my teaching career yet. I am still searching for a job. For a very long time, I thought I wanted to be a kindergarten teacher but after observing a first grade class, I found out that I really like that grade too. Have any of you taught first grade and kindergarten? If so, which grade do you prefer? I am just curious. At this point, I will take any job I can get but I know those are the two grades I REALLY want to teach. Thanks for any info you can give me!

:thanks:

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jun 19, 2008

I have taught many grade levels k-5 and first grade is my ultimate favorite grade level. The kids are so eager to learn and they have been in school for a year so it is not brand new to them. Seeing them grow as readers and writers and mathematicians is truly rewarding. I believe you see tons of growth in first graders which is true of K too but first grade it is more evident (or it was to me) because you really see them become more independent readers/writers etc. FIRST GRADE ROCKS!

4. Pooh42

Pooh42 Companion

Jun 20, 2008

Kinder vs 1st

I did my student teaching in Kindergarden and that is where I thought I wanted to be because I loved it so much:love:.

However my first teaching assignment was in 1st grade and I have been there ever since (like you I was just glad to be able to find and job and at that point would have taught any grade offered).

I did one year in second 06-07 but went back to first the 07-08 year due to a move to a different school which I was glad to be able to go back to first-they are so will to please you and sooooo loving-I love 1st Grade-and probably will not change grades unless I am forced to (which I hope never happens)

wishing you the best in your job search;)

5. FootballGal

FootballGal Companion

Jun 20, 2008

Thanks for the information. Still no job yet or any new postings for jobs so I'm hoping some start opening soon!

6. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jun 23, 2008

People can be surprised by their favorite grade. I thought upper grades like fifth or sixth were my favorite until I taught first. I know other people who were sure first was the one they wanted and learned that their favorite was an older grade. The only way to really know is to do it.

7. jenejoy

jenejoy Companion

Jun 23, 2008

I started teaching 1st and wanted out badly... it took 2 years before I was able to move up to 3rd and then after a year of being a teacher on special assignment working with beginning teachers I took a position at school I really wanted to work at as a K teacher...I had sworn I would never go back to little kids. I ended up loving K because I finally figured out how to teach the most basics of everything. I found out I LOVE teaching beginning reading. This year I requested a move back up to 1st and I am so completely excited (besides getting to loop with 1/2 my class) I know exactly where they have come from in K and know exactly where they need to go. For me having taught the different grades has made me a much better teacher.

8. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Jun 24, 2008

I've taught K and 1 and, hands down, prefer 1st. When they come into K some don't know colors and others are reading. Some have gone to a good daycare and know how to sit down and be quiet while others have never been in a formal school setting and run around all day. Don't get me wrong when I taught K it was a lot of fun but I prefer my little first graders!!

9. princessa48

princessa48 Companion

Jun 24, 2008

I guess I'm really lucky to be a looping teacher. I have completed two K-1 loops now, and I don't think I would be able to pick a favorite. I really would have to pick out of a hat if my school no longer did looping. The beginning of Kindergarten is scary ;) , but getting to take them from pretty much babies to independent readers, writers, and math stars is amazing. This year I go back down to Kindergarten. I'm so excited to start a new loop. I know that I took my first graders well beyond where they needed to be for second grade, and I'm up for the new challenge. I can also say that teaching both grades really gives me an advantage because I know exactly where I need to take them.

Best of luck with your search. I hope whatever grade level you end up teaching, you will be happy and content.

10. FootballGal

FootballGal Companion

Jun 24, 2008

Thanks for all the input... I never thought I would want to teach 3rd grade.. I've observed and did my student teaching in that grade... I thought i hated it.. buttttt there is a 3rd grade position that is open and since I am desperate, I may apply to it. I really had my heart set on K or 1st but since I need a job very badly, I'll take anything. I must say though that after reading the posts, I am leaning towards first if a position would become available. Thanks again for all the help!

11. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Jun 26, 2008

I love first grade. It is very challenging and there is a lot of pressure on teaching reading and writing and math basics, but very rewarding at the end of the year when you see all the growth! Kindergarten has it's good and bad points to. At the beginning of the year it is really difficult because they don't know how to do anything. But there is a little more flexibility in planning and you can do more read alouds and thematic units (at least in my district) than in first. Good luck! :)

12. FootballGal

FootballGal Companion

Jun 27, 2008

Thanks! Now that I know I would prefer 1st grade, I just have to wait for a job to open. Any job would be great!

13. Teacher379

Teacher379 Companion

Jul 8, 2008

Hopefully I'm not repeating anyone else's reply to your post...

I would suggest, first getting a job (especially with this economy), and then asking for another grade.

I'm not sure how it works where you are. But around March of each year, my principal asks the teachers which grade level they would like to teach the next year. You're supposed to give your top three choices. She usually tries to give you what you want. But it doesn't always work out. This upcoming year will be my 5th year teaching, and only once did I not get what I wanted.

Good luck!