teaching fact an opinion

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Guest, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Mar 11, 2002

I need help! I am needing ideas for teaching fact an opinion. I have searched on the web, but have not found any great ideas! Do you have any ideas for me? I am desperate!

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Mar 11, 2002

WHat grade is this for? I teach fourth grade, and usually my kids have some idea about fact
    and opinion. I usually try to incorporate it into Social Studies, we read a section then discuss
    the facts and opinions. Have them wrtie two facts and two opinions about the reading,etc.
    It also helps to have them 2make cards, one color for fact and one for opinion. then they can
    just hold up the card to show if they think a statement is a fact or opinion. it's a good activity
    when you have a couple minutes to fill up.

4. Shawnmarie

Shawnmarie Rookie

Mar 11, 2002

Hi, when I taught 5th grade, we did Fact and Opinion. I used a newspaper and had the kids each choose articles. Then they had to figure out what sentences were facts and what were the writer's opinions. We talked about certain phrases that you would find when it's an opinion, things such as "I feel", "I think", etc. Then the class each had to come up with facts and opinions about themselves. For example, one student could say "I live in a blue house" (F), "I am a lot of fun" (O). Good luck :)