Teaching ESL in CA

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by gr8_life, Apr 28, 2006.

1. gr8_life

gr8_life Companion

Apr 28, 2006

What are the requirements to teach ESL in CA? Is having a CLAD muti-subjects credential and masters in education enough?

3. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Apr 28, 2006

A MS credential and CLAD are enough except for content instruction delivered in the student's primary language. For that you need BCLAD.

4. gr8_life

gr8_life Companion

Apr 29, 2006

Can you explain that a bit? So I'm okay for teaching English, but not math, science or something like that? I'm only interested in the English teaching anyway... to adults.

5. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Apr 29, 2006

My comments above applied to K12 in California public schools. CLAD lets you teach whatever subjects your credential otherwise allows to English learners, as long as the instruction is in English. BCLAD allows you to teach those same subjects to English learners in their primary language. The "B" in BCLAD stands for bilingual. So you could teach English to a kid in 6th grade who just arrived from Mexico in Spanish. CLAD and MS, as in your case, would allow you to teach any subject, in English, in any self-contained classroom. This usually means K6 or K8 depending on the district but can include classes organized primarily for adults. I think you will need to check with the CTC to be sure if you have the appropriate credentials for what you want to do.

Of course, if you won't be teaching in a public school, the above is all moot. CTC doesn't control private education.

6. gr8_life

gr8_life Companion

Apr 30, 2006

Okay, let me rephrase the question. What are the qualification for teach ESL to adults in CA. Anyone know?

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 1, 2006

That almost certainly depends on what sort of organization you teach for. There's not a credential per se, to the best of my knowledge. Universities are generally looking for MA or MS degrees or even doctorates in teaching English as a second language or in applied linguistics. Community colleges prefer qualification like that but are perhaps a little less likely to insist on it, especially if you can offer either a wealth of experience teaching English language learners or proficiency in the language(s) spoken by most of the student population. Adult schools run by public school districts may well expect a single subject credential in English plus some TESOL training, though it will depend on whether or not you're teaching core English courses, and that whole scene gets rather complicated. Private language-teaching organizations are all over the map: some are very choosy about qualifications, some will take just about anyone who crosses the threshold (though there you're much less likely to get good institutional support and it's hard to say just how motivated your students will be).

8. SmartCookie

SmartCookie Comrade

May 1, 2006

Most organizations including public adult school want you to have a B.A. / B.S. and a certificate in TESOL. I just came back from the CA TESOL conference.

9. TESOL_is_fun

TESOL_is_fun Rookie

Jun 20, 2006

minimum qualifications for ESL teachers in CA and NV

Here's a link that outlines minimum qualifications for ESL teachers for different levels:

http://www.catesol.org/minqual.html

Even with this, it's still quite confusing. The minimum qualifications they list for adult ed are for full-time teachers. There is a credential for adult education; I believe it's called the DSAE (Designated Subject Adult Ed) credential.

Adult ESL programs run by a public school district require the Adult Ed credential. Those that are run through community colleges usually don't, but they probably require a TESL certificate to teach a credit course. It seems that the requirements are more loose to be a non-credit ESL instructor, though. Here's a job posting for a non-credit position with the N. Orange County Community College District:

Bachelor's degree AND two (2) years of occupational experience related to the subject of the course taught; OR Associate degree AND six (6) years of occupational experience related to the subject of the course taught; OR Possess a valid California teaching credential authorizing service in a community college in the appropriate subject matter area; OR The equivalent.

In this case, I think a MS credential and CLAD along with 2 years teaching experience would certainly qualify you.

Is your head spinning yet? Hope this was more helpful than confusing!

10. VegasLibra

VegasLibra Companion

Jun 20, 2006

I teach ESL at a San Diego community college right now. There are several things that qualify you. A CLAD is one of them. So it sounds like you are already qualified. Many organizations want you to have TESOL certificate but it's not a requirement, I don't have one, but I also worked as an Intructional assistant in my program for 5 years before I started teaching. Good Luck