Teaching English Overseas in Summer?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by njsiii, Nov 9, 2008.

1. njsiii

njsiii Rookie

Nov 9, 2008

Does anyone have any experience doing this or know of any good programs? I am not looking to really pay but I am willing to work for free. Most programs I have seen require me to pay (plus all other expenses) to go and teach which I find kind of weird.

3. njsiii

njsiii Rookie

Dec 6, 2008

Pity Bump

4. Sheba

Sheba Companion

Dec 12, 2008

There are some one-month summer EFL 'camp' jobs in Korea teaching elementary and / or middle school students that will pay your airfare ('camp' is Konglish, or Koreanised English, for extra-curricular learning). I would never work at such a job myself but I know some people who’ve done it and liked it. My friend worked at one such summer English 'camp' held at Changwon University in Changwon, Kyeongsangnam Province and made around $3,000 in one month.

If you're interested in such a job I'd suggest you prepare a cover letter with a professional-looking photo, do a google search for 'Korea recruiter camp', find recruiters' emails, and send your letter, photo, and CV to as many recruiters as you can find explaining what you'd like to do. Just get a new email account to do it because your email will be spammed for years with offers from all over the world. And be sure that any job you get at a 'camp' in Korea will arrange a work visa or you'll be working illegally and could get deported despite what some recruiters may tell you. About 80% of Korean recruiters are lying bastards so be careful with what info you're given. Also many Korean directors are outright racist and discriminatory and won't want you if you're black, fat, or old. Oh and stay away from the Christians - they'll set you up doing 'volunteer' work for which they're actually charging parents high tuition while laughing all the way to the bank that they got you for free.

However, if you want to work at what will likely be a highly disorganised farce babysitting kids who are being deprived of their summer holidays, and experience a very, very different culture while even making half-decent money, it could be an ideal opportunity.