Teaching English Abroad

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Genmai, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Genmai

Genmai Companion

Aug 11, 2009

Hey Gang,

With the job market so terrible, I am looking at teaching abroad. Teaching English abroad seems like a wild west show with little standardization and oversight, and I'm worried about where to go for advice and training. From my brief research, I've learned that only a TEFL certificate is required to teach in most schools abroad, and this certification is easy to obtain.

Has anyone had any experience teaching abroad, especially China? What was it like?

3. Groovy

Groovy Companion

Aug 11, 2009

There is a ton of information on Dave's esl cafe. I'm sure you'll find people who can speak first hand.

http://www.eslcafe.com/

Best to you.

4. JerseyEnglish

JerseyEnglish Rookie

Aug 11, 2009

I have a lot of friends who have taught abroad. I don't think any of them have taught in China, but I have heard mixed reviews. Some really have enjoyed it and others didn't because of living conditions. The girl I know who is currently finishing her first year of teaching in the Ukraine (she has a two year contract) has a really nice host family and she enjoys it. Any program you are looking into should have a list of previous employees you can contact for input. I would definitely ask for that. Also, there are a lot of blogs out of there you can find by simply using Google. Good luck.