Teaching English Abroad like Japan, Korea, China

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Subber, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Subber

Subber Companion

Apr 24, 2010

I just thought I'd mention this in case any of you whos 1st language is English who are not getting a full time job are interested in doing so. You just have to be brave and go. You'll make tons of money. A credentialed teacher who got a pink slip was telling me that that's what she's going to do as soon as her last kid is done with highschool in May.

3. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Apr 24, 2010

do you have any specific info? is there a particular program she is going through? do you know anyone who completed a specific program? This is something I always thought of doing but I;m hesitant to go through an agency that I don't know anything about

4. Subber

Subber Companion

Apr 25, 2010

Her husband was in military and so she had taught in a couple of countries when they were stationed there. I don't think that she completed any specific program. Last summer, I met a barely 20 yeara old college student in calculus II class, who went to China and taught English for a year. Obviously, she saved up money and came back to continue her degree in US.

I think that there are many types/environment to do this teaching and so depending on it, the requirement might be different.

I got a phone number of a Korean lady - the number is US number - looking for such a teacher. I got it from a Japanese American man that I ran into at a restaurant yesterday, prompting me to post here. I will send you a private message to give you the phone number. If you do not receiuve my message, send me one.

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 25, 2010

I am in Mexico teaching. I moved from the US. I don't know about other schools, but I don't think there is "tons" of money to be made, so be careful about that. I do know someone who taught in Korea, but had an awful experience. The living conditions, at least where he was at, was horrible, as was the school.

Now, I love the school I am at. It is a very wonderful private school. But, I make pesos. I do not make US dollars. There is no way I could even save money here. Pesos do not go as far as US dollars. I would say anyone who is contemplating moving to another country to look into it, but do so realistically. We brought our daughter here and she's adjusted just fine. But, it is an American school, so instruction is in English and curriculum is from the US. I also know a girl who taught in another Latin-American country (can't remember which), and she did not like the experience. Her kids could not speak English. At my school, the kids must speak English to attend the school. They even have a pre-first grade to ensure that their language skills are up to par.

And, a lot of these places might only want someone to teach just the language English. So, be careful if you are someone who wants to teach academic content. I am not trying to discourage anyone, but you have to look at it realistically. My guess would be any country you go to is going to pay you in their currency....So, while it might be more than what the average citizen of that country makes, it is likely considerably less than what an American makes....I am just saying this because I am in another country teaching, so I have some experience, if limited, in this. But, I love being here and want to stay. I love my school, job, and students. I am lucky.

6. azure

azure Companion

Apr 25, 2010

Tami J gives very good advice. I've heard about the poor living conditions and also once you're there finding out the job entails more than you expected.

7. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Apr 25, 2010

Is there stuff like this, for short-term work (i.e. summer)?

8. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Apr 25, 2010

This will be a good opportunity for someone who is into that, it's just that personally I do not feel comfortable living in another country.

9. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Apr 25, 2010

I spent a few years teaching in Japan. I was teaching conversational English though. I'm not sure how many jobs you'll be able to find at an international school.