Teaching ELs in NY? I have NY initial certificate and a CA credential.

Discussion in 'ESL/ELL' started by teachr2019, Nov 23, 2020.

1. teachr2019

teachr2019 Rookie

Nov 23, 2020

Hi fellow educators,

In a nutshell, I have a clear CA elementary credential which includes EL authorization. I also recently got an Initial NY license for Childhood Education (Gr 1-6). I've always wanted to teach ELL students, which is what I used to do in CA. However, it seems that I can't teach them in NY with my current certifications. Has anyone else dealt with this? It's confusing and frustrating, since CA has the highest % of ELs in the country and my credential there has an embedded EL authorization. Don't understand why it won't be accepted in NY! If anyone knows what I need to do in order to move into ENL (as it's designated in NY) from a classroom certification, I would greatly appreciate your input. TIA!

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Nov 23, 2020

Have you reached out to the NY Dept. of Ed. to ask the same question? That certainly would be my starting place.

4. teachr2019

teachr2019 Rookie

Nov 24, 2020

Hi vickilyn, I have. Their responses are still unclear to the specific questions I have. I have found out that CA accepts the ESOL certification from NY, but it doesn't work the other way around - so much for reciprocity! I am trying to reach the right personnel at NYSED. If anyone has contacts there or know the right people to talk to, please share. I'm interested in understanding how state departments actually evaluate certificates from different states. There doesn't seem to be much clarity and transparency in this area.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Nov 30, 2020

I am in NY and I had some questions for the Ed Dept. but couldn't get through to them so I contacted the certification department at a local SUNY school and they were able to point me in the right direction. Did you send them all of your transcripts and documents? They usually evaluate what you send them then send you a list of things you need to do to qualify for NY certification. Maybe they are backed up right now but sometimes it's hard to get in touch with them (I've only been able to get someone on the phone ONCE since 1998)!!!!

6. teachr2019

teachr2019 Rookie

Dec 4, 2020

Thanks for your message! I know what you mean about getting in touch. I was recently on hold for 75 minutes, and then the call failed 5 minutes into the conversation! Yes, I have sent all my transcripts. I am already certified in one area, but getting additionally certified in another is quite the process. Also, I have general questions about how teacher certificates are actually evaluated across states, but never get a straight answer. There's a lots of gray area and lack of transparency. My CA certificate has a built in EL authorization, and I'd like to know how other states exactly gauge the effectiveness/quality of the EL education received to get this authorization. As I mentioned, CA has the highest number of ELs in the country - they take their teacher training in this respect very seriously!

On a positive note, I found a principal who really wants to hire me and is working hard to get me approved on a temporary EL credential next week - wish me luck!