Teaching dream/nightmare

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mrs Ski, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Mrs Ski

Mrs Ski Companion

Jun 15, 2010

So I thought I would share my crazy dream with you all, cause my husband wouldn't get it.

It is the first day of school and i have 35 students for my 25 desks, (we cap at 25 due to charter). I ask for more desks to accommodate the students who are standing around the back. They start bringing in tables, ok there aren't any desks around we can deal with a table. But then they start taking away all my desks, and giving only tables. I am a firm believer in desks so I am shocked, but they are doing this all during class time. Ack no Stop, just give them chairs and leave.

So I ask if the other 4th grade teachers have this many. No they only have 25. Why me, how did I get all these students as a first year teacher, why haven't they been spread across the classes.
    -Whatever it is class time, start teaching-

Then I get sass like full on 8th grader sass. One actually tells me I can't use the white board, because the school is moving away from that. What has happened to my class, I look over my class and they are huge, definitely not 4th graders.

And then I wake up. Kinda funny, kinda creepy. But definitely new teacher nerves.

3. lareed

lareed Companion

Jun 15, 2010

Don't you just love teacher dreams! My husband never gets them either!

4. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 15, 2010

I have a recurring one where I literally leave all of the materials I need for the day at home - usually on the dining room table. I then walk into the class, realize everything is at home, have 25 7th graders staring at me... and I can't think of ANYTHING TO DO IN CLASS. Then the kids realize it and start chanting "Free day! Free Day!" while I stare at them blankly, frantically trying to think of SOMETHING.

Cue wake up and cold sweat.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2010

Even after 17 years, I still have a variety of "school nightmares" during the year.

My last one was a "first day of school" one. My custodians triggered it last year by telling me that my room wouldn't be ready before open house night. It was the first day of school, and my classroom wasn't ready. Worst of all, my room was really long and narrow, so the kids at the far ends of the room could barely see me. And the room was full of every yahoo, hoodlum, and PITA that I've had in my entire career.

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 15, 2010

My all-time favorite was the time I had to give a standardized test to all the Pre-K kids (about 80 of them) all by myself. The big problem was I couldn't get rid of their parents!

I also will have the one where I can't find my classroom-just walking around and around-can't find it.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2010

I seem to always have the ones when I go to school naked. :eek: I know I'm naked, but nobody else seems to realize it!

8. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jun 15, 2010

I still get them. Usually they scare me to death, so I almost didn't read your post worrying that it might trigger one!

Mine usually involve weird rooms and too many kids.

9. hac711

hac711 Companion

Jun 15, 2010

I once had a dream/nightmare that I was sitting for an exam and my students kept walking in saying they were thirsty/bored/didn't understand the assignment. I kept walking them out and then I couldn't find my way back to the test!
    I also had a nother dream that 2 of my fifth graders were sitting in the back of a UPS truck drinking beer and that I JOINED them!!! When I woke up I was mortified and when I saw them in school I couldn't erase the images from my mind!!!

10. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jun 15, 2010

Ah, teacher dreams! We had a good thread on this topic last year too. It never gets old. The worst one I had recently (was I feeling a bit overwhelmed or inadequate?:unsure:)

I got into class and found out that I was supposed to teach science, not LA. (In real life, I am only certified for SS and LA, and I've only taught LA.) I didn't have materials/plans. I forget some of it but I do remember that I was being observed. It was a person from the school board and I was never more unprepared or disorganized in my life.

Gotta love dreams!

11. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jun 15, 2010

Before my first year, I dreamt that I showed up for the first day of school and my classroom was a CAVE. A dark, musty, dug-in-the-ground cave, complete with dirt walls and floors! While I've had several others, I don't think they'll ever top that one.

12. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jun 15, 2010

I was in a trailer my first year and dreamed all year long that someone moved it and wouldn't tell me where it was. The worst part was that my students were in it!

Why are the dreams almost nightmares? Why can't we have them were every single student in happy, engaged, the P comes to do your evaluation and you are doing the best lesson EVER, and every kid gets what you are teaching the very first time? Why don't we have those dreams????

13. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jun 15, 2010

every year, the week before we go back to school, my whole family goes on a beach vacation. One year I had a dream that I was at the beach and a HUGE wave came up the shore, we all tried running to the hotel, but it got me. I was barely keeping my head above water. When the wave finally died down... It had brought me to school!!! First day, soaking wet, half drowned. LOL

14. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jun 15, 2010

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: I actually laughed so loud, my kids came in to see what was so funny.

15. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Jun 15, 2010

I always have the dream where I don't have a classroom, share a small office with three other teachers, get class rosters filled with the biggest disciplinary problems in the school, assistant principals that ignore referrals and cut slips, a disorganized principal who constantly lies to his staff, 30 or more kids in a class, and.....oh yeah, that's right, it's NOT a dream. That's 180 days of real life! (LOL!)

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 16, 2010

I've had this one frequently as well.

17. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 16, 2010

Before my first year, I had a dream that I was subbing at the school where I had been hired. I dreamed that after recess none of the students came in. I assumed that I had a prep - meanwhile my students are lined up outside waiting for me to get them. In my dream I didn't notice until LUNCH and then I had to walk by the office to pick them up. When I woke up I had to reassure myself it had just been a dream!!

18. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Jun 16, 2010

I remember weeks of nightmares before my first teaching job- kids swinging from the ceiling and a lot of whiskey- from my 2nd graders.

I also had a truly terrible dream 2 nights ago about a school shooting. It was the worst dream of my entire life and it took me hours to get back to sleep.

19. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 16, 2010

Ha ha, this was too funny! :spitwater:

(Sorry about your other bad dream.)

20. Mrs Ski

Mrs Ski Companion

Jun 16, 2010

One time I was subbing and mis-read the lunch schedule, so there was a class with no teacher. Luckily they came and got me from the teachers lounge. I was so embarrassed.

21. jessie81

jessie81 New Member

Jun 17, 2010

I have a new hubby, and I was trying to convey to him my love of teaching and what it was like to be a teacher. I got two books by Phillip Done (32 third graders and one class bunny and Close Encounters of the third grade kind) and left them in our bathroom as reading material.

He loves the books and is learning through those books short stories what makes teaching such a great passion in my life.

22. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 17, 2010

The night before my first day of my first year I had a dream that the students did not listen at all. I would speak and they ignored me. I even stomped my foot in frustration and they acted like I wasn't there. Luckily my real class was wonderful and the dream was totally anxiety at play.

23. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jun 17, 2010

Here is one I had recently. I have a gecko that a parent, whose child was in my room three years ago, always loans me to keep in my classroom every year. I dreamt that I forgot to give him water and found him dead in the cage. I kept trying to "make him better". It did not work. I then had the rising stress sensation as I realized I would have to inform the parent I let him die of thirst and the kids in the class would be heart broken.

24. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jun 18, 2010

I actually have flying dreams (a result my many years as Air Force flight crew) mix with my teaching dreams.

Once, I dreamed I was back in the Air Force, doing my job in the aft part of the plane, and I go up on the flight deck and there was my most disruptive, high-maintenance student, flying the plane as the aircraft commander.

Oddly, he was doing an excellent job at it too.

25. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 18, 2010

Was that a dream or did that really happen?? I know a sub that did that and the students didn't tell anyone so nobody went to go find her LOL

The only school dream i can remember is me being in a strange school I've never been in before and not being able to find the room I was supposed to teach in.

26. Mrs Ski

Mrs Ski Companion

Jun 18, 2010

Actually happened (ducks head in shame)