Teaching demonstration

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teach15, Apr 4, 2015.

1. teach15

teach15 New Member

Apr 4, 2015

For the second part of my interview I have to be video taped teaching a reading lesson to kindergarteners.

It has to be 45-60 mins and I have to use the following common core state standards...

CCSS.ELA-Literacy.R.L.K.9- Information of Knowledge and Ideas: With prompting and support, compare and contract the adventures and experiences of characters in familiar stories.

CCSS.ELA-Literacy.R.L.K.10- Range of Reading and Level of Text Complexity: Actively engage in group reading activities with purpose and understanding.

I would appreciate some good lesson ideas! Thanks!!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 4, 2015

What are you thinking?

4. teach15

teach15 New Member

Apr 4, 2015

I was thinking of reading two similar books and comparing them together as a class, but I'm afraid that kindergartners will have a hard time keeping the stories separate if read in such a short period of time.

If I did do that, i'm struggling with what I will have them do independently for an assessment.

5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Apr 4, 2015

You could choose a familiar story, like the three little pigs or goldilocks, that the students theoretically know well enough to not need it read aloud. Then read an alternate version of the same story and compare and contrast the characters' experiences in the original version and the alternate version.

6. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Apr 4, 2015

I'd look into picking two short fairy tales that are similar. Read each story and compare/contrast the story. You can use a Venn diagram to compare/contrast.

7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 4, 2015

Are you familiar with RIRA (Repeated Interactive Read Alouds)? If not, I would watch YouTube videos on RIRA to get an idea of how it works in kindergarten classrooms.

I love RIRA and I think there are some lessons you can get from TPT (Teachers Pay Teachers).

I also think that 45-60 minutes is a long, long amount of time for kindergarteners to be expected to listen carefully. I'd probably start on the carpet and have them go to their desks/tables to complete the 2nd half of the lesson. Can you incorporate a Brain Break into your lesson?

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 5, 2015

Welcome to A to Z, teach15. A gentle note: A to Z forum policy strongly discourages duplicate threads at the same time by the same member on the same topic, on grounds that spreading the discussion among several threads dilutes it and makes it harder for members to follow. Your threads have been merged here.

9. teach15

teach15 New Member

Apr 7, 2015

I'm struggling on which two stories I should choose! I am afraid that it will take too much time to read two books in 1 hour plus an assessment activity. I am also afraid if I read two stories the students are going to lose interest or not be able to keep the stories straight.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 7, 2015

Two stories is too much. You need to change your plan....

11. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Apr 7, 2015

You don't need two stories, compare two characters in the same book using a double bubble (thinking maps). Maybe Cinderella and her step-sisters or the tortoise and the hare? Assess with one picture/ sentence each of how they are alike or different. That's one idea. Good luck!

12. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 7, 2015

Wonderful idea!

13. teachinIA4137

teachinIA4137 Rookie

Apr 7, 2015

I love the idea of comparing two characters in one story. Cinderella and her evil step sister should give you a good contrast. But if you can think of a better story where two characters are vastly different-go for that.

Some other ideas might be to include a brain break (like someone said); break up the lesson into small chunks and have them moving about every 15 minutes - like read the first part of the story, go back to seats and start a VD on what you know so far , then go back to the carpet then go back to seats to finish comparing and contrasting;Obviously with KDG they might not be able to do it themselves, so maybe draw a VD on the board and write some samples?

Man, I wish I had 45 minutes to do a lesson. The last one I did I only had 20 minutes to teach a social studies lesson :unsure:

14. teach15

teach15 New Member

Apr 7, 2015

Thats a great idea! I guess I got caught up in the wording of the RLK 9 standard and thought I had to compare characters in different stories! Thanks!!