Teaching Credential

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by kelly33, Oct 10, 2020.

1. kelly33

kelly33 New Member

Oct 10, 2020

I was browsing through universities where I can earn my multiple subject teaching credential, and I noticed that a lot of them offer "preliminary" credentials. From what I looked up, these are credentials that are only valid for 5 years... I was just wondering if all teaching credential programs are preliminary, or if I can get a "clear" credential from the beginning. Sorry if this question is stupid. Thank you!

3. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Oct 10, 2020

In every state I know of, there's no such thing as a permanent credential out of college/university. Even once you have a regular license/certificate/whatever, they expire if you don't keep up with the PD requirements. How long each kind is good for depends on where you are, and sometimes when you were first licensed. It's not uncommon for the rules to change fairly frequently and things get wonky with who's grandfathered in and who's not.

kelly33 and bella84 like this.
  4. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

Oct 11, 2020

An accurate description of teacher credentialing in general.

kelly33 likes this.
  5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Oct 12, 2020

NJ standard certificates do not expire. The provisional certificates have expiration dates, which are dates that mandate the amount of time that you have to meet certain criteria, but once a standard certificate is obtained in NJ, there is no annual fee for it to keep it from expiring. Yes, NJ has a requirement for PD - a minimum of 20 credits per year.There is so much that counts towards PD that meeting the minimum is very easy. Taking a 3 hour graduate course equals 45 PD hours. I find that there is enough free PD to more than meet the requirements in any given year.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  6. kelly33

kelly33 New Member

Oct 12, 2020

Hi, thank you for your response. So every beginning teacher must go through an induction program to get a clear credential? This is in California, btw. Thank you!

7. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

Oct 13, 2020

Pretty sure that is the case for California. Are you just entering college, or trying to pick up a credential after finishing college?

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 13, 2020

For me it meant I had to get my Masters within 5 years go get the permanent certification. There's no easy way out.