Teaching Countries

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Memom2, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Memom2

Memom2 Rookie

Aug 26, 2010

I have to plan a lesson about one country for a student teaching seminar project. I my have a country (Costa Rica), I have an option of any grade K-6, and it must include culture, geography, educational system, food, customs, art/music, government, & recreational activities. I have my research, but what I need is a way to present it. I only have 20 minutes and it needs to be interactive and somewhat exciting. I am going to make food for the lesson. Does anyone have any ideas?

3. Chalk

Chalk Companion

Aug 26, 2010

Need a good set induction. Get some cultural music and do a short video on Windows Movie maker showing the country and its culture, art, maps and pics of the peeps. Keep it to about 1 minute and 30 seconds to no more than 3 minutes.

Have fun!

4. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2010

That seems like an awful lot to try to cover in 20 minutes, especially with any depth.

It's a seminar project, so what do you think is more important in the grading? How interactive it is, or whether it hits all those points?

Good luck.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2010

Hi and welcome!

for starters, what grade have you chosen?

How about planning a trip?

Have the kids desks organized to replicate the rows of an airplane.

As you fly over Costa Rica, you can talk about the geography you see from the plane windows. Then you can go through customs (and have your passports stamped) and talk a bit about government.

You can play tourist and hit a lot of the other highpoints.

6. 4capulina

4capulina Rookie

Aug 27, 2010

i find that kids who are ages 10 & over think that money from other countries is really cool. Bring that if you have it.

7. Memom2

Memom2 Rookie

Aug 27, 2010

Thank you all for the great ideas!

3Sons - I know that hitting all of the points is most important. I really do not think depth is the goal at all. That is part of my problem, I want to talk about too much :)

Aliceacc - That is a great idea! I wonder if I could print some pictures from google Earth to put on the floor. I could show a video as suggested during the 'plane' ride and try to find some money to exchange during customs.

I have not decided on a grade yet, I am thinking of sticking with 1st through 3rd though. I am with 1st graders right now and LOVE it!