Teaching content area vocabulary

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MsMar, Dec 7, 2015.

1. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 7, 2015

I'm teaching 6th grade social studies (ancient civilizations) this year. I am looking for a variety of ways to teach the vocabulary from my different units. If you have any tips of engaging ways for students to learn content area vocabulary, please share. I like to do a mix of independent and partner or small group activities. Thanks!

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Dec 7, 2015

I'm sure nothing I do is different than what you do - but I'll share:

flash cards
    foldables with definitions
    BINGO game for review
    Kahoot game for review
    WHO IS... http://www.educationworld.com/a_lesson/learninggame/learninggame014b.shtml
    cross word puzzles
    word searches
    I made up something based on the Two Truths and a Lie where I write incorrect definitions for some terms and the students have to make the definition correct.
    Memory/matching game
    Flyswatter game: http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/climatechange/docs/film/flyswatter.pdf
    Slap! - very similar to the flyswatter game, only students play in small groups and slap their hand on a piece of paper with the vocab word on it.

4. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 8, 2015

Thanks for the list! Couple of questions..

What is Kahoot?

Never thought of the Two Truths and a Lie one, that sounds like a good one. I could use that when they're learning about different people.

5. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Dec 9, 2015

Graphic organizer is my go-to. Kids also enjoy making test-style questions, like multiple choice or fill in the blank tests. Sometimes my students take notes and I have them doodle a picture to go with the words. Having that picture element is helpful as well.

These are pretty simple ideas, but they're what wors for me. :) Kahoot is a great resource too if you have time to make the questions and devices to use.

6. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 9, 2015

I may be able to have the devices for Kahoot. Is it pretty easy to set up and use in class? My daughter mentioned it to me a few weeks ago (she's in 8th grade) and told me she thinks I should use it for my students.

7. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Dec 9, 2015

Kahoot is super easy to use and FREE! You do need devices and WIFI/good service for it to work well.

8. chaaarliship

chaaarliship Guest

Dec 10, 2015

hello
    i am a 2nd grade teacher in a science . and i am totally depend on google