Teaching comprehension

Discussion in 'General Education' started by runsw/scissors, Feb 19, 2008.

1. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Feb 19, 2008

I am in need of some ideas to directly teach comprehension skills. I do this all the time in class with the group as a whole and with smaller groups sometimes, but I am really stuck on how to teach comprehension one on one. This boy I am tutoring now is low in decoding and comprehension. I have tried reading comics (like Calvin and Hobbes, Garfield, etc) with him and having him explain the action and the humor, reading leveled books and asking the questions in the teacher's guide, poetry, and nothing seems to be making much of a dent. I know he tries, but I (we) just aren't seeing much progress. Any other ideas would be helpful. How do you directly teach comprehension skills???:confused:

3. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Feb 21, 2008

How about a graphic organizer of some kind, with the center bubble being the name/author of the story, the outside bubbles each corresponding to one different thing, such as main characters in one, setting/location, problems, how the problems were solved, and even vocabulary that was difficult? I have used various types of these in the past and they seem to pull out the information from the student - sometimes it is not just the comprehending component, but the processing component that makes it difficult for certain students to remember parts of a story. Hope this works.

4. positiveautism

positiveautism Comrade

Feb 21, 2008

I really like to use graphic organizers as well. I subscribe to http://www.readingaz.com/ and they have a lot of really good graphic organizers. One of my favorites, particularly for my students with autism, is one that you fill out with story elements such as characters, setting, problem, events, solution, etc. What makes it great is that there are visual cues on the organizer (the place where you fill in the characters is shaped like a person's face and the place where you fill in the setting is shaped like a house). They have lots of other graphic organizers as well.

Another thing that I've recently been reading about that impacts comprehension is fluency. I use choral, echo, and repeated readings of poetry to help my students with fluency.

I think that the comics sound like a neat idea. I think that comprehension is a skill that can be very difficult to teach. Good luck!

5. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Feb 22, 2008

I hadn't thought about graphic organizers. I see this boy only for about 45 minutes each session. By the time we review phonograms there is usually only 30 minutes or so left. I might try the graphic organizers just to see how long they take.

6. MrL

MrL Companion

Feb 22, 2008

Usually I can have a whole class create a graphic organizer in about two minutes.