Teaching colors

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by tchecse, Mar 5, 2007.

1. tchecse

tchecse Companion

Mar 5, 2007

Does anybody have any ideas about teaching colors? I have tried all year to integrate this into our themes, but it is not working. Only 2 of my 12 students know their colors and despite the fact that I teach preschool spec. ed., I think most of my students are capable of learning at least a few of them. At least 5 of my students can match colors and sort them with a model, so the next step logically to me is pointing to the correct color when given a field of 2-3. I have decided that for the next 3 weeks, we are going to eat, sleep, and breathe colors-This week we are doing a theme around the book mouse paint, next week is rainbows, and the week after will be another color related book before we jump into bunnies and eggs for easter. So far, some of my ideas are: sorting counter bears by color, sorting fruit loops and lacing them on match color pipe cleaners, color hunts, color books, a giant rainbow and have students find pics out of magazines and match to same color, music activities using hap palmer color songs, painting with our feet (like the mice in mouse paint), a variety of file folder games and books for 1:1 and data purposes, and several cooking ideas. Any other suggestions would be awesome!

3. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

Mar 5, 2007

We make one color book a week like brown bear that the students color to match the underlined color word. Dr. Jean Feldman www.drjean.org (Sing to Learn CD) has a great song the color farm (which I have a powerpoint for PM if you want it), that we sing I made my students masks that they wear while we act it out. We do alot of color mixing-using colored water in jars, colored celephane, fingerpainting, etc.

I also sing this song (which I don't know the tune of)
    Red, Red, is the color I see.
    If you are wearing red then show it to me.
    Stand up and turn around.
    Point to your red,
    And then sit down.

I sing this song alot when calling my students to wash hands for snack, line up for recess, etc.

Mr. Al (http://www.mralmusic.com/) has a color song on his can't remember which CD he sings If your wearing red stand up, If your wearing red stand up, If your wearing red clap your hands, and then sit down! Everybody sit down. He repeats each color with a different action. Lots of fun! At the begining of the year. I pause the CD after he says the color the first time and say Bob you have red on your shoes, Joey your shirt has a red stripe, Sara you don't have any red today. The children stand up and point to thier color and and turn the song back on. Mr. Al also has a whole colors and shapes CD-I haven't tried that one, but I do like his music.

4. lex

lex Rookie

Mar 5, 2007

Maybe you can take one color at a time and make each day over the next week or two a special color day instead of presenting all the colors at once. You could send home a note and ask that the kids wear the color of the day. You could paint with just that color, set out crayons and markers in only that color and also have them make a collage that they will glue one color, yellow for example, stuff such as feathers, tissue paper, yarn pieces, foam pieces, etc. on a sheet of yellow paper. You could read a book about something yellow that day too (ducklings, sunflowers...) to keep reinforcing the color.

5. mrJon

mrJon Rookie

Mar 5, 2007

The "One a day" method works v. well... At my preschool we do a color each week. You said you are going to go all-out on this for 3 weeks, I would suggest 1 per week. By the second week see how they're doing, and maybe you could do more. You also mentioned that they are special needs children. This can present a problem with sensory integration children, that won't want to touch messy paint, or unique "icky foods". If they don't have aversions to touch, and taste... i would suggest foods... Lots and lots and lots of foods (fruit especially).

My Many Colored Days, By Dr. Suess, is a very very good book, generally unknown because it was published after he passed away, and his wife commissioned the artists that did the book... I HIGHLY RECCOMEND IT! :D it's a great book that has to do with feelings, and presents colors in a wonderful "eric carle-esque" way. ... you can find normal large copies, and glossy board book copies :)

GOOD LUCK ON YOUR MISSION!!!!

-mrJon

my last suggestion would be to do the primary colors, Red Blue Yellow. These are the most common and from these can make all the colors.

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Mar 5, 2007

One of my little guys last year did his best work on colors with M&M's. Didn't matter that color I asked him, he could get it with the M&M's, although he might not get them any OTHER time. So he'd have to match the M&M to the colored circle on the board (boardmaker symbols for the color) and says its name before he got to eat it. Then he'd progress to "take the red one" or whatever. He was beginning to generalize them. He knew red consistently, although he didn't really get any of the other ones.

I hate tying everything to food rewards, but, hey... if it works. ;)

7. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Mar 6, 2007

Hi- Here is a link to the colors page on my website: ~vanna's color page~ There you will find a detailed color plan with book suggestions, resources, songs, and activities listed. I also teach pre-k, high ESL, low SES and it is difficult for my kids to learn colors too, but this color plan seems to work best for them.

8. childcare teach

childcare teach Comrade

Mar 6, 2007

We do a color a month and I made a home made color matching game the children love.

9. tchecse

tchecse Companion

Mar 6, 2007

These ideas are great:) I definately am going to add in a color of the week/month idea. I am doing that with letters already since I have a few kiddos who need to practice these skills and are ready to practice this skills, but next year they are all moving on and I will have mostly 2-3 year olds who are not currently able to talk due to their diagnosis (autism, severe CP/seizure disorder, etc). I am also going to do some ordering from Frog Street Press:) Thanks VannaPK for the lead on another EC product company!

10. mrsp1104

mrsp1104 Rookie

Mar 10, 2007

I also do a color a month. Each month my classroom gets transformed into a color. This month we are focusing on the color green. I have green balloons taped to the walls. The windows have green curtains made out of tissue paper. As a class we made the color green by mixing yellow and blue paint. Then I had the child paint a green picture. The children made green jello. Next week they will glue small pieces of green construction paper onto a green shamrock cutout. The children will make a green collage. On the last Friday of the month the children must wear green to school and bring something green in for show and tell. Those are just some ideas of what I do.

These are the colors that we cover each month
    September - yellow
    October - Orange
    November - Brown
    December - Red
    January - Blue
    February - Pink
    March - Green
    April - Purple
    May - Black/white
    June - Review All Colors

11. tchecse

tchecse Companion

Mar 10, 2007

THIS IDEA ROCKS!!! I will definately do this next year:)

12. cokelady

cokelady Rookie

Mar 10, 2007

I teach 3 yr olds and we do a color a month, we go over that color , wear that color and I have white paper bags put a teddy bear clip art on bag in the color of the month, then around the classroom we find things that are that color put in bag and play a game what is missing or what is in the bag... Sept-red, Oct- orange Nov-brown Dec-green Jan- White Feb- pink March- blue April- yellow May-review

13. Mrs. B.

Mrs. B. Rookie

Mar 10, 2007

That's really similar to what we do!
    Sept.-red
    Oct.-orange
    Nov.-brown
    Dec.-white
    Jan.-blue
    Feb.-pink
    March-green
    April-yellow