Teaching class during interview

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by eightlgddj, Apr 10, 2007.

1. eightlgddj

eightlgddj Rookie

Apr 10, 2007

Hi,

I am going for an interview tomorrow, and I will have to teach a high school physics class. How should I go about this? I've planned out the lesson, I just don't know how I should introduce myself, or whether I should bring a power point or something, etc. Could anyone share their experience with this?

Also, I was planning to wear a suit, but do you think that that would be too "uptight" for teaching a class?

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

3. smilingteacher

smilingteacher Rookie

Apr 10, 2007

Be overly prepared. Wear what would be appropiate for a job interview.

Have something that would be fun and exciting. Think. Would I enjoy this if I was in this classroom? Practice, Practice, and practice some more.

John

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 11, 2007

The kids will most likely be on your side, particularly if you go out of your way to make it interesting. The interviewers know that you don't know the names or what they've covered in the past; they're looking to see you interact and explain.

And I would go for the suit! Think twice about powerpoint (and be sure they have the capability.) I would rather see you explain then go through the pre-written outline. Although that, of course, depends on the topic.

Good luck!!

5. rojaul

rojaul Rookie

Apr 11, 2007

I just had to do the same thing, but for another class. Also in the class was the principal, another teacher, and someone from the board of education.

I introduced my self very briefly to the kids, but didnt really explain why I was there, but the kids already knew. The principal had told them.

I wore a suit, but took off the coat durring my lesson. I kept my lesson very simple, to get as much student participation as possible. I asked the students a lot of questions, and wrote a bunch of answers on the board, then came to a final answer that the whole class could agree upon.

Walk around the class, and ask the students to say their name before they answer a question. My lesson was only 15 minutes. After the lesson I asked the kids if they had any questions for me.

After that the principal asked me to go back down to his office and wait. He talked to the kids for a few minutes, and came back down and offered me the job.

Good Luck!

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 11, 2007

Hey, congratulations!!!

It sounds like a well thought out lesson.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 11, 2007

Congratulations! Simple lessons often are the most effective.