teaching character and setting

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by love2teach, Sep 21, 2006.

1. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Sep 21, 2006

any ideas.....our reader has some lame story and the follow up is just not there.....

3. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Sep 21, 2006

I have some really good sheets that ask the kids to really analyze a specific character - usually in a book they choose to read and then I have them do some 'fun' response activity like make a paper bag puppet or stick puppet of the character.

4. PurpleTweety

PurpleTweety Companion

Sep 21, 2006

You didn't mention what grade, but here are some of the activities I have used with my grade 6-8s.
    1. Make a character suitcase. Pick a character (a novel works best for this, a short story usually doesn't have enough detail). Students must create a suitcase (cereal box slit along one side and covered with construction paper works well). Students must create artifacts (using any material - paper, popsicle sticks, modeling clay etc.) that represent the character. Someone opening the suitcase who hasn't read the book must be able to know what the character is like from looking at the objects. What does the character look like, how do they feel, hobbies, likes, dislikes etc.
    2. Write a report card. We brainstorm as a class the categories we want to include (ie emotions, moral actions, treatment of others). Students then write a report card, with letter or percentage grade and comments.
    3. Character Journal. Students pick a character from a novel. I then set a minimum number of journal entries and a minimum length. As they read, students choose the points in the novel they want to write a "diary" entry for their chosen character.
    4. Alphabet report - must write a word or sentence which describes the character for every letter of the alphabet.
    5. Giant person report. Students work in pairs to trace each other on large sheets of newsprint. They then describe the character by writing sentences for different areas of the body. Ie. heart - they are loving and caring, hands - they show love and care by helping others, feet- they are good at athletics.
    6. Comic strip/story board report. I usually set a minimum number of cartoon squares & size. Students can illustrate an incident, chapter or a number of incidents involving a particular character. This also works for setting - they can do one square per chapter etc.
    Setting
    1. I have given out huge sheets of newsprint and then had the students design, draw and colour/paint a mural of the setting. Depending on the novel and the number of students I have done: the opening setting with the whole class working together, multiple settings from a novel with students working in small groups, and individual murals with each student choosing which setting from the novel they want to illustrate.
    2. I have had the students create a diorama of the setting.
    Hope this helps!

5. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 21, 2006

French Fry Facts

We made french fry facts this week. Second grade.... We took yellow paper and cut them into strips that were crinkly like french fries. Then we took a white sack and cut it across the top with zig zag scissors. On each french fry we wrote the following...Title, author, setting, characters, three facts about the story. The children used these to share the story with a family member and returned their package of french fries signed for a reading grade. Easy and the kids thought that they were playing.

6. mrs a

mrs a Companion

Sep 21, 2006

In our journals we draw the setting of our current story. We also make a character web for our characters.